Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    en82 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Landlord Breach of Lease
    I live in NYS and signed a lease on 2/29/08 to rent an apartment on 4/18. The landlord called me on 4/1 to tell me that the apartment that I rented was not available anymore and they will not have another apartment available until 5/15 (4 full weeks after I was originally supposed to move). Under the assumption that I was moving from my current apartment I gave my current landlord notice that I was not renewing my lease. So now I basically have nowhere to live for 3 weeks while I am waiting for the new apartment to become available. The landlord offered me another apartment to store my things for a month until the apartment is ready but that means I have to move all of my things twice because of an error they made. Both the landlord and I signed and dated the lease so is that a legally binding contract? The landlord made it seem to me that they are doing me a favor by letting me store my things for no cost and that they were just "being nice" because I was inconvienced. I feel that they breached our contract and they should do whatever it takes to keep me happy. Would this hold up in court should it have to go this far?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by en82
    I live in NYS and signed a lease on 2/29/08 to rent an apartment on 4/18. The landlord called me on 4/1 to tell me that the apartment that I rented was not available anymore and they will not have another apartment available until 5/15 (4 full weeks after I was originally supposed to move). Under the assumption that I was moving from my current apartment I gave my current landlord notice that I was not renewing my lease. So now I basically have nowhere to live for 3 weeks while I am waiting for the new apartment to become available. The landlord offered me another apartment to store my things for a month until the apartment is ready but that means I have to move all of my things twice because of an error they made. Both the landlord and I signed and dated the lease so is that a legally binding contract? The landlord made it seem to me that they are doing me a favor by letting me store my things for no cost and that they were just "being nice" because I was inconvienced. I feel that they breached our contract and they should do whatever it takes to keep me happy. Would this hold up in court should it have to go this far?

You have a legally binding contract and the landlord has defaulted. Yes, it's a court case. The question will be your reasonable damages. They don't have to do whatever it takes to make you happy but they do have to be reasonable. I don't think it's unreasonable for you to have to stay in a hotel, for that matter, but you never know what a Judge will decide until you're standing in front of one.

You would have to move once - from the old place to the new place - so I wouldn't expect them to pay for that but I WOULD expect them to pay from the temporary place to the new place. Wonder why you can't move into the storage apartment WITH your things and then move to the new place - ?

I wouldn't be so sure I still wanted to move into this place - sounds somewhat unethical and like they are flying by the seat of their pants.
    Benjimeister Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Apr 4, 2008, 11:53 AM
    I agree with JudyKayTee, the only issue there being that bringing to court may take longer than the 3 weeks you're out an apartment. Either way, I'd set up a consultation with a lawyer, and think twice about where you're moving in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lease To Purchase.Possible Breach of Contract - Missouri [ 2 Answers ]

A year ago we signed papers to do a lease purchase with a sales contract also. Two weeks after we moved into the home we found out the home was in foreclosure. The people on the loan (ex-boyfriend/girlfriend) caught up the arrears. Originally they had a fixed rate and then an adjustable rate...

Kansas--Landlord Unreachable, breach of contract, etc. [ 1 Answers ]

My family moved into a house in Kansas, and we've had some problems since moving in. The house had been empty for a couple of years, so we were anticipating some minor glitches--no big deal. However, once we moved in, there were some more MAJOR glitches that we discovered! We attempted to fix them...

Breach of lease [ 3 Answers ]

Excon, How sure are you about the rules of Florida. I had someone leave early and I am Suing them for breach of lease since they just left w/o any notice. I am now Also trying to sell my house. Can I still collect for the rent as it comes due Until I sell or rerent. Ken

Landlord rights in breach of lease [ 6 Answers ]

Under Georgia law, may a landlord charge a tenant that breaches the lease agreement Within the first three months of the agreement, the full year's rental price or the offset Amount of whenever a new tenant is procured?

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

View more questions Search