Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    azhuettl Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 09:11 AM
    No sink overflow drain?
    Hello,
    I live in a new build and just realized that the sinks do not have the usual holes in the front for overflow draining. These are cultured marble one piece tops in bathrooms. It's the same way in my master double sinks, the single and in the kitchen stainless double. When did manufactures stop putting this in? It just seems weird to me. The water will flow onto floor if someone overfills the sink.
    Thanks.
    :)
    Tom

</IMG>
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Yep, it will flow right onto the floor causing the great Mississippi River flood in your home. They are the cheaper sinks that don't offer the overflow hole. How quaint of them to think of this as a cost cutting item. You can replace the sinks with the ones that do have the overflow holes - OR you could raise a ruckus to the builder the tell him that you want the overflow hole type sinks. They didn't just stop making the overflow models as I have the overflow holes in my sinks and my house is not that old. In one word to sum it all up you got "gyped".
    Benjimeister Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Apr 4, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Not all sinks have overflow holes, although they are a standard feature, but usually only on bathroom sinks. Kitchen double stainless sinks don't usually have them (I don't know If I've ever seen one actually). How often do you plug the drain and leave the water running? Answer: Pretty much never. If you're very concerned about it, talk to the builder or just replace the bathroom sinks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 4, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Tom,
    Could you takea picture of your lavatories showing both the front and the rear side of the bowl. The only lavatories I've ever seenwithout a overflow have been vessel sinks and they need a special grid drain assembly to prevent air lock. Are you sure that you don't have a small hole up near the rim in bthe front or rear? Do your lavatories drain OK? Kitchen sinks don't have overflow ports. Let's hear back from you. Regards, Tom

Apr 4, 2008, 02:16 PM
    As for the kitchen I guess your right. I have never seen an overflow, as one sink would drain into the other.
    The bathrooms appear to have the sink molded in with the countertop as one piece. Cultured marble, we were told.
    This is a Fulton home and it surprises me that they would use lower cost sinks. Most of their standard features are higher than most builders we looked at. Do not really think it will be a problem, just had a neighbor bring up the subject and it made me curious.
    :rolleyes:
    Have included some pictures as requested by speedball1.
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 4, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Thanks for the pictures. First time I've seen lavatories other then vesel sinks without va overflow. I think your builder skimped on the built in vanities. I would have complained at the time of installation. What's the reason the builder gave you? Certainly it couldn't be because they're better. How do they drain? Slow" Normal? Let me know, Tom

Apr 4, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Hi,
    Sorry I forgot to answer that question about draining. The sinks drain just fine, fast as any actually. I did not notice this drain issue until my neighbor recently mentioned it. I have not talked with the builder about this yet. We closed in Aug last year, so probably too late to expect anything from the builder. I am going to check out the model home and see what it has. Might not be worth the hassle of trying to get the whole vanity top replaced at this point. I do have ongoing communication with the office rep, so maybe I'll just talk with her about it. The site manager recently got let go, sales have sloooowed way down and builder combined three subdivisions of workers out here. The new site manager does not seem as friendly.

Apr 7, 2008, 08:52 AM
    I talked with the sales rep. She thinks it was about 5 or 6 years ago when the builder went to the no overflow sinks. She doesn't remember a reason being given. I stopped at other new home sites and checked their models; none of them had overflows. Maybe its an Arizona thing.
    Thanks for everyone's input on my curiosity question.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 02:31 PM
    I had a bathroom sink that had no overflow hole also. I had to be VERY careful not to overflow the sink. Sounds like an Arizona thing. I lived there many years ago and I think it was out in Prescott Valley in a newer 4 plex that had the no overflow thing. Too bad you got stuck. Must be cheaper to get the sinks with no overflow. They must have had a fire sale and some enterprising contractor bought them all up to sell in AZ.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dishwasher... overflow on the sink [ 17 Answers ]

We just moved to a home and ran the dishwasher the first time today. The dishwasher is running fine except that water came out of the "thing" on the sink (the overflow? ) but its steady (not forcefull) when draining during both cycles. How do I fix this?

New bathroom sink backs up halfway, quickly drains, repeat.. no overflow in this sink [ 2 Answers ]

I just very proudly finished installing our new second floor bathroom sink drains. Two different vanities, two different walls. I ran the water steadily in both of them for 10 minutes. One works fine. The other backs up about halfway up the bowl, then suddenly quickly drains everything and...

Sink w/overflow v. Without [ 4 Answers ]

I recently purchased a self-rimming sink without an overflow. I have two small children at home. Was this a mistake? Should I return the sink in case they decide to turn the water on and leave it running or does it really matter?

Rusty bathroom sink overflow [ 3 Answers ]

My bathroom sink is draining very poorly. I snaked out the pipe, but found no clog. A plumber came for the same problem about a year ago and blamed it partly on our sinks overflow being very rusty and interfering with proper venting of the sink. Does this sound right and can the overflow be...

Sink w/o overflow hole [ 9 Answers ]

I just had a home inspection on a house I am considering buying. The inspector mentioned that the 2nd floor bathroom sinks did not have overflow holes. Is this a Uniform Plumbing Code violation?

View more questions Search