Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Catseyes Posts: 51, Reputation: 5

Feb 9, 2006, 03:19 PM
    Part year resident for MA : bank interests
    Hello,

The instructions for form 1-NR/PY ( I am a Mass. Part-year resident) say on page 9:

"Income: Lines 5 through 11, 24, 27 and 28
    If you earned only a portion of the income you reported on your U.S. return while you were a Massachusetts legal resident, subtract from your U.S. income the amount earned and received while you were legally domiciled in another state or country. However, you may be required to include all income derived from Massachusetts sources earned while you were a nonresident. "

I did bank interests when I lived in MA, then I closed all accounts when I moved to CT. So I know exactly how much interests from forms 1099 INT was made when I was lived in MA.

However, the tax software I used automatically added ALL interests on line 24 (Other Interest and Dividend Income).

What am I supposed to do ? Override the value in the software ?

Thanks for your help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2006, 07:42 PM
    Cateyes:

In this case, yes, you should over-ride the tax software on the MA return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B from Oct'05: part of year resident? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm on H1B, my wife and son are on H4. We are in US (California) starting Oct 12, 2005. I have several questions: 1. I filed an extension of time. As I understand, after 5th of June I will pass substantial presence test (SPT) in 2006, and therefore can file 1040A for 2005 under...

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

First Year Choice & Resident / NR [ 6 Answers ]

I stayed in US in 2003 , 2004 and in 2005 and as per substantial presence it is total of 160.5 days (which is less than 183days). 1. I filled 1040NR for 2003 without using First Year Choice and became resident in 2004 mid. Is it possible to amend my 2003 return by using first year choice and...

View more questions Search