But the bible warns us about wanting to be god

I guess this is the same question of god lifting the rock

Also look at this post thank you for reading
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=20201
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2006, 01:34 PM
    Hi,
    Any good christian should strive to be a better and better person, trying to live up to the Will of God.
    But, we are all sinners, and no, not one is left out of being a sinner.
    We cannot be God, or even come close.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Feb 9, 2006, 01:59 PM
    any good christian shold strive to be a better person
    Better and better and better until we are perfect
    As perfect as god

But the bible warns us about wanting to be god
    Yes, every christian should strive to be a better person. Some people beat themselves over the head trying to be better or even perfect. Perfection is only going to happen when you get up to Heaven. We can only succeed at being better if we allow God to work in us to become better so therefore that warning wuld not apply necessarily. There is a difference between being like God(Jesus) and being God.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Apr 13, 2006, 07:22 PM
    We are sinful by nature and fall short of perfection no matter how hard we might try. However, based on the Ransom Sacrifice our efforts are viewed as righteous. That's why salvation is not earned but is a free gift.

Romans 3
    23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, NKJV
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Apr 13, 2006, 08:54 PM
    EVERYBODY not just christians should strive to be better
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Apr 30, 2006, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamarcin
    corect me if im wrong with this line of thought

any good christian shold strive to be a better person
    better and better and better until we are perfect
    as perfect as god

but the bible warns us about wanting to be god

i guess this is the same question of god lifting the rock

also look at this post thank you for reading
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=20201

Actually, I find the God-lifting-the-rock paradox very easy to solve. First, I use inability to do something as a determinant of whether God ios almighty or not. If we say he can't do this then we are saying he isn't almighty since he is unable to reduce power to the necessary level. But since he is Almighty God does have the power to reduce his power to the point of inability to lift the rock and voilą! Does he cease to be God almighty simply because he temporarily reduced his power to lift the rock--of course not. In fact, being God almighty he could do the whole procedure in a billionth of a second without anyone even taking notice. : )
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 30, 2006, 11:15 AM
    We as humans should strive to be better people but stay humble enough to not put ourselves as better than others!:cool:
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Apr 30, 2006, 12:34 PM
    Hi there,
    Here is a little of my opinion, whatever it is worth. Digest as little or as much of it as you like.

From reading this post, I am reminded of a little story I read once. It goes something like this...

A prince heard that a very wise teacher was among them. Being jealous, the prince sought to discredit the wise teacher and make him look like a fool. The prince said, "Tomorrow I shall go to the teacher dressed as a student and I will have in my hands a dove. I will ask the teacher if the dove I hold in my hands is alive or if it is dead. If the teacher says it is dead I will set it free and if the teacher says it is alive I will crush it and hold it up for all to see that it is dead. Either way, the people will percieve the teacher as a fool."

The next day the prince went to the school as planned and asked the teacher if the dove he held in his hand was alive or dead. The teacher replied,
    "The dove in your hands is like your education, it is what you make it."

Likewise, I feel that our lives are what we make it. Good, bad, or otherwise. Whether God is a part of our lives is also our choice. The bible does say that He gave his one and only son so that all may not perish but have everlasting life but consider something else God gave us.

A choice

God wants us to follow him and strive to become Christ-like in what we do. This is different than the warning about wanting to be God as this crosses the line of envy and jealousy.
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Apr 30, 2006, 12:58 PM
    A little side note about the rock. I believe that God has a purpose. As far as I can see, there would be no purpose in Him creating a rock that He cannot lift, or whatever. If it was to prove Himself, well there is just so much other proof, why bother with the rock?:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Perfection: [ 1 Answers ]

It's gratifying to witness the actions of people who are easing their ways toward any degree of perfection by using all values known to mankind as authoritative commands. Escapism or a need to 'change horses in the middle of a stream' should no longer be essential to oblige the sentiments of the...

Perfection: [ 25 Answers ]

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father in Heaven is perfect". (Matthew 5:48) Would God give us a command that cannot be followed? HANK :confused:

View more questions Search