Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minxolee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 12:50 PM
    Married file jointly with Residence Alien status
    Hi all,

I am a new comer here and have a question about tax.

I came to US in 2003 as F1 so now I am still a non-residence alien for tax purpose.
    I got married last november(2007.11). And My wife is a Residence alien for tax purpose.
    We decided to file jointly this year and want to make sure we get the forms right.

1. we are both considered residence alien in jointly filing, and We need to attach a
    Statement to fed tax return saying I made the choice to file as a residence alien,
    Signed by both of us and including name, address and SSN for both of us.

2. For the federal,
    -- 1040EZ
    And I didn't put in the scholarship in the first line because it's exempted from
    Tax by US-China treaty article 20(b) although I am considered residence.
    Is this right?

? 8843
    We don't need this form, do we? Confused.

3. For the state(NY)
    -- IT-201

Am I miss something, thanks very much! Appreciate your help!

Min
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2008, 03:40 AM
    1. Yes.

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Yes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file Married jointly or married separated [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know, that can I file jointly with my wife or married but separated. She is a Canadian citizen and she does not have a U.S. (SSN). She visits me Every 2 months and if I round up all her visits she has stayed with me More than 6 months, so can I claim her by applying for ITIN...

Dual Status Married Filing Jointly? Or Treaty-Based Single Non-Resident Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in the US for a US company in 2006 (TN visa) for 1.5 months and filed a non-resident alien return as a single person. I worked in 2007 in the US until the end of August (still on TN visa), then returned home to Canada and worked for a Canadian employer for the rest of the year. I had a...

Former H-1, Current F-1 married to H-1, file jointly? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in the US on F-1 visa between Aug. 2001 - June 2003, and then on H-1B between June 2003 - August 2006 and then again on F-1 since August 2006. I filed as a resident for those three years. I got married to an H1-B holder in July 2006. We filed jointly for the 2006 tax year. ...

Dual status alien files jointly? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to USA as F2 visa in April of 2006. Then I found a job and changed to H1b visa in September of 2006. I read the pub. 519. It seems I can claim first year chioce and file 1040 as resident alien for the part of year 2006. My husband is F1 student, who has W-2 from school. Could we file...

Dual Status Alien Filing jointly? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and me both moved to America in April 2006 and live here since then. We worked in Germany until then, now he works here. We are Dual status, can we file jointly? When yes, wich forms do we have to use. We have rental income in Germany, what about taxes for that?

View more questions Search