Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hillbillyburt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 05:37 AM
    18.5 b&s drained 1 gallon of gas out of oil
    I have a 18.5 B&S ran fine for about thirty minutes ran out of gas. After putting in new gas it will only run about 4 seconds blows a lot of smoke and drained a gallon of gas out of the oil reservoir. What might have caused this?
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2008, 06:59 AM
    Well, if you have an oil and fuel mixture in your crankcase. It was likely caused by a small particle of debri (trash) of some sort. What happens in a lot of cases is that it only takes one microscopic particle to hold open the needle valve allowing the float to drop, and overfill the fuel bowl. Then the excess fuel flows through the intake, past the intake valve, seeps past the piston rings, and down into the crankcase (sump). That is why it is very important to always check your oil level before starting the engine. To see if it is low, or overfilled.
    To remedy this, put on an inline fuel shutoff valve. Also, remove the spark plug(s), wear safety equipment, especially eye protection, tape the end of the spark plug wire with electrical tape. Hold shop towels in front of the spark plug hole, and have someone turn the engine over as if trying to start the engine. Beware, there will be either a fuel / air mixture, or a blast of fuel forced out of the spark plug hole. Drain engine oil. Refill engine with oil. Start engine, allow it to run for about five minutes, drain oil. Refill with oil and use the mower. And be sure to put on the fuel shutoff valve.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internship in energy,oil & gas sector [ 2 Answers ]

If anyone can help me with the list of companies operating in india

How many cubic feet of nitrogen gas could be generated from 1 gallon of liquid nitrog [ 4 Answers ]

How many cubic feet of nitrogen gas could be generated from 1 gallon of liquid nitrog

2 40 gallon water heater vs 1 80 gallon [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a new house. I am considering installing two 40 gallon water heaters rather than one 80 gallon water heater. My thought is that I could turn one the 40 gallon heaters off as there are only two of us most of the time. Then we could turn on the other when we have guest. Is there a...

B & S 14.5, Breather Tube Spitting Oil/gas [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 38" Snapper yard cruiser rider with the B&S 14.5 HP engine. It has the ability to be stood on its butt to let you clean the desk and change blades. I did this Saturday to do both. I remembered to close the air vent to the gas tank. I forgot :eek: to close the shut off valve at the gas...

B&S 18.5HP Intek, oil/gas coming from fuel pump [ 5 Answers ]

Gas comes out of the screen on my fuel pump and the engine smokes like it's on FIRE when its under a heavy load. I replaced the fuel pump but this did not help. Someone suggested the crankcase vent might be stopped up, but I can't find a vent anywhere. The engine starts fine and idles without...

View more questions Search