Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2008, 01:39 AM
    What is magic?
    Could someone please explain that:

Magic is different than Magick which is different than devil worship.

I'd explain my view of the difference, but don't want to get "thumped" anymore.

Thanks in advance
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2008, 01:54 AM
    Please do explain...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 3, 2008, 05:36 AM
    Yes, you have to realise that to you, it may be different, but to many, except for stage show magic, the use of magic all comes from a power that is not God, thus it uses powers that are evil ( even if it appears it is being done for some good purpose)

So for those of faiths in Christianity, I believe Islam also, there is no other good power besides God, so to us, while even the user is being deceived those powers all come from Satan.

So sorry not trying to thump anyone that is just a very basic belief of a large group os people.
    mackythehacker Posts: 191, Reputation: 10

May 18, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Magic is just illusions I think lol
    pnkster Posts: 19, Reputation: 0

Jul 23, 2008, 08:45 PM
    Hey pray this May the Immaculate Heart of Mary and the Sacred Heart of Jesus be praised, adored and glorified throughout the whole world now and forever.
    Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, pray for me. St. Theresa of the Child Jesus, pray for me. St. Jude, Patron of Hopeless Cases, pray for me and grant this
    Favor I ask.
    (Say this prayer 9 times a day and for 9 consecutive days and publish on or after the ninth day.)
    Your request will be granted

PRAYER TO THE HOLY SPIRIT
    Holy Spirit, You who makes me see everything and who shows me the way to reach my ideal, You who gives me the divine gift to forgive and forget the wrong that is done to me and You who are in all instances of my life with me, I, in this short dialogue, want to thank You for everything and confirm once more that I never want to be separated from You no matter how great material desires may be, I want to be with You and my loved ones in perpetual glory. Amen. Thank You for your love towards me and my loved ones.
    A person must pray this prayer 3 consecutive days without asking your wish. After the third day your wish will be granted no matter how difficult it may seem. Then promise to publish this dialogue as soon as your favor has been granted.

A PRAYER TO ST. JUDE
    May the Sacred Heart of Jesus be adored, glorified, loved and preserved throughout the world now and forever.
    Sacred Heart of Jesus, pray for us. St. Jude, Helper of the Hopeless, pray for us.
    Say this prayer nine times a day and your prayer will be answered. It has never been known to fail. Publication must be promised. Thank you.
    lordwispa Posts: 77, Reputation: 2

Sep 9, 2008, 07:32 PM
    A Witchy woman I know said magic is a trick whilst Magick is real, her magick is ynow summoning, candle, sex, spell ynow, all that do da. I don't know what satan magic is. My father came from a spirituallist background and they say that its how you use it that makes it good or "evil". My own use is shamanic(if it needs a name)so I regard all as POWER that sometimes may be directed sometimes may hurt(stick your hand in a fire to see) but is rarely understood, assumptions say we know some things like scientific understandings but I THINK it may just be a more refined metaphor and one that may be thrown out entirely later.so mystery could be called magick?? (my saying sometimes is I don't even know if I know)(((I talk a lot though)))
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 09:18 AM
    I don't think sleight of hand, or magic, whatever you want to call it, is evil. If someone can really change the odds and pull a bunny out of a top hat, or make someone disappear, then great, I am all for it. But I still don't think its evil.

So, simoneaugie, please explain your theories, I am ready to read and would be interested.
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Okay, I'll jump into the fire...

Magic, stage magic, like pulling rabbits out of hats or sawing someone in half is a trick. It involves distracting the audience with one thing while accomplishing the visual trick, sometimes using mechanical devices.

Magick, spelled to differentiate it from stage magic is sometimes a part of witchcraft called spell casting (Wiccan, Druidic, Celtic, Faery, Italian, Santoria etc.) In general, the power of the Gods, Earth, Sun, Moon or whatever is called upon to accomplish a specific result, like health.

Within these two, are varying degrees of ceremonial magick where the practitioner uses "props" to move the mind into sacred space. These things may be candles, incense, herbs cauldrons, wands or even brooms. Then there is Hermetic magic where no "props" are used at all.

Devil worship is a type of magick. Instead of goodness, badness is revered. Spells and rituals are geared toward evil outcomes.

To many religious people, all of these are non-God activities, all devil worship and the "wrong" way. I believe that there are as many ways to touch our spirituality as there are people. All those ways are God. God is everything and everywhere, in the Bible or the Devil worshippers cauldron.

Choices are what I see. And what is our guide? The God within us, our Soul. We are all correct. Death, separateness and time are illusions. Created by our own stage magic perhaps?

Sep 13, 2008, 02:27 PM
    Hey just pray this . It will come true .
    Google Image Result for http://www.take2tango.com/Data/Image/news/03_2006/Tuan2/ChaDiep01.jpg

That's the picture of the Saint . Here's is the novena

Lay Chua, Lay Cha, Ngai la bac Thanh , o canh dang cuu the day quyen nang. Nay con cau khan Cha qiup con vuot qua kho khan cap thiet hien nay .

Pray for 9 times a day , for 9 days , prayers will become reality .

Sep 14, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Hey just pray this . It will come true .
    Google Image Result for http://www.take2tango.com/Data/Image.../ChaDiep01.jpg

That's the picture of the Saint . Here's is the novena

Lay Chua, Lay Cha, Ngai la bac Thanh , o canh dang cuu the day quyen nang. Nay con cau khan Cha qiup con vuot qua kho khan cap thiet hien nay .

Pray for 9 times a day , for 9 days , prayers will become reality
    jammixmaster Posts: 282, Reputation: 15

Sep 16, 2008, 09:11 AM
    First we must understand that magick (spelled with a "k") is just stupid. I believe Aliester Crowley started spelling it with a "k" but in today's society you usually only see it on websites and books geared towards teens (such as books by Silver Ravenwolf). In Witchcraft we see magic: The raising, directing, and releasing (A.K.A the manipulation) of energy to accomplish a desired goal (or to create change). Its as simple as that.
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2008, 10:56 AM
    I agree with you completely jammixmaster. The spelling is pointed out because there is so little understanding of the concepts. Words are an uncertain vehicle, that does not mean that the person writing or reading them is stupid.

Another thing about the craft that is attractive is that individuality is accepted. Witches do not knock on your door and then tell you that your beliefs are wrong. If a person of any age prefers the approach of a certain author, they might be kept out of a certain group but are not put down for such a preference, in general.

Sep 16, 2008, 02:57 PM
    Oh of course. My reference of stupidity was not aimed at Crowley himself, but at his spelling of the word. I find Aliester quite wise. As for Silver, I personally don't like her books, but if someone on Wiccan path does, more power to them.
    Alder Posts: 342, Reputation: 71

Sep 23, 2008, 03:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lordwispa View Post
    a Witchy woman i know said magic is a trick whilst Magick is real,
    Magic, no matter how you "spell" it, is a tricky way of making real things happen. ;)

Stage magic, illusion, is a delightful and beautiful art, and practitioners of real medicine use "staginess," use presentation, as part of their work. This is no different than the way a gourmet chef uses garnish to make the food look more appealing. It's all about helping the client get into the "spirit" of the work.

About the devil: I have met spirits like skinwalkers that are dark and dangerous, but I would not call them evil. Evil is something we humans do. As for the devil, I have never met this being personally. According to the Book of Job, the devil is an angel whose job is to challenge people to grow and learn (and who apparently likes to place bets with God on whether they will pass the tests).

Apr 18, 2009, 01:59 PM

I'm not sure where magicK with a "k" came from. I first saw it in an Aliester Crowley book. That form of spelling is becoming more and more popular in books written for teens on the subject of magic and witchcraft and Wicca (though I don't know why). However, to answer your question "What is magic", magic is simply this:

The raising, directing, and releasing of energy to accomplish a goal.

Other practitioners may define magic as the "manipulation of natural energy to attain a desired result". They both mean the same thing, but that's what magic is in a nut shell. How and why it works goes deeper than that, but in a nut shell, that's magic.
    Expert

Apr 18, 2009, 02:10 PM

The spelling of magic with a K (magik, not magiCk) developed during the onset of the printing press when words were written the way they were pronounced. Crowley was only trying to enhance his mystique by writing in old english which 'magik' is. He liked people to think he was re-incarnated several times over.

Quite frankly, I think Blatavsky had more credability as a medium.

Tick

Apr 18, 2009, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    The spelling of magic with a K (magik, not magiCk) developed during the onset of the printing press when words were written the way they were pronounced. Crowley was only trying to enhance his mystique by writing in old english which 'magik' is. He liked people to think he was re-incarnated several times over.

Quite frankly, I think Blatavsky had more credability as a medium.

tick
    Makes sense. Thanks for that :)
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 11:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jammixmaster View Post
    I'm not sure where magicK with a "k" came from. I first saw it in an Aliester Crowley book. That form of spelling is becoming more and more popular in books written for teens on the subject of magic and witchcraft and Wicca (though I don't know why). However, to answer your question "What is magic", magic is simply this:

The raising, directing, and releasing of energy to accomplish a goal.

Other practitioners may define magic as the "manipulation of natural energy to attain a desired result". They both mean the same thing, but that's what magic is in a nut shell. How and why it works goes deeper than that, but in a nut shell, that's magic.
    Who was alister crowley I've heard that name mentioned many times:confused:
    Expert

Apr 21, 2009, 03:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lighterrr View Post
    who was alister crowley i've heard that name mentioned many times:confused:
    www.controverscial.com/Aleister%20Crowley

Apr 21, 2009, 05:31 AM

Depends on who you talk to. Some people would say he was the most "evil man in the world", while others would say he was a remarkable ceremonial magician and still others would call him a satanist. No matter what he truly was, it can be concluded he was a skilled occultist and writer. He was a member of several occult groups. He also practiced astrology and was bi-sexual.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Magic cream [ 4 Answers ]

Where can you buy magic cream from and is is really effective on the body

How to on this magic trick [ 10 Answers ]

I was bored one day and decided to look on YouTube at some magic tricks. I found this guy, and I was wondering how this trick was done. http://www.youtube.com/v/-MLPS9Zq2nM It's about 8 minutes long and mostly in Japanese, but you don't really need to know what they're saying. Any insight...

How to know if this is black magic? [ 6 Answers ]

He why guys. I had an affair of 5 years with my boyfriend... I was told by close friend of his he is trying some black magic on me... so that I should always remember him and he created mental block on my mind... can this be true... because when my parents came to know that he is worth...

True magic [ 4 Answers ]

I thought it appropriate to post my question here. Don't ask me why. I don't see how to rate some ones post. How do I do that? Huh? Huh?

View more questions Search