Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happychik Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2008, 10:49 PM
    Hair dye too dark!
    Hey everyone! Im new here and I have a question about at home hair dye that turned out too dark!
    Well my natural colour is a light brown/dark blonde colour and I decided I wanted a medium brown so I went and go a dye from the grocery store and dyed it and it turned out looking almost black!! It's a permanent colour too.
    Im just wondering if there is anyway to get my colour to fade to a medium brown without going to a salon to get it stripped or whatever it is they do??
    I really don't like this super dark hair - just doesn't suit me!!
    Guest Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 3, 2008, 08:41 AM
    Happychik,
    I did this very same thing to my hair. I dyed my (dyed) blonde hair what I thought to be medium brown and my hair turned out completely black. Needless to say, I was horrified. I was trying to grow my hair out, so I did not want to further damage it by having the hair stripped. Sometimes the stripping process will turn the hair a nasty, brassy orange color that is worse than the dark hair color itself. I would be wary of having the hair stripped.
    Use a clarifying shampoo, but make sure to condition well afterwards. Get a trim at the salon - that will remove some of the black ends. The color will fade over time. I just tried to sport around my "new" color for a while.
    You can consider having highlights weaved through your hair, which I believe to be the best alternative. It will break up the solid color. That is what I eventually did and the result turned out to be very nice.
    Be wary though of dumping more chemicals on your hair. You do not want to fry your hair.
    Good luck!
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Apr 4, 2008, 12:01 AM
    Keep in mind that permanent hair color will gradually fade and get a little lighter over time. The more you shampoo your hair, the faster color will fade. You can use Prell, anti-residue shampoos, dandruff shampoo or dish detergent such as Dawn to fade the color quicker. Excessive shampooing can make your hair dry, so be sure to follow up with a deep conditioner to restore the moisture in your hair.
    kaitie-93 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 04:18 PM
    I did the same thing 2 days ago! I was a light brown, and I wanted my har dark brown but it turned out to be almost like black... I have been washing it every night with 'head and shoulders' cause its supposed to take out the colour, and it did a little, but not much, so I'm hoping I can buy the prell shampoo today, because that's supposed t work REALLY well, so I recamend you use prell shampoo since I've heard a lot of people say it works Extremely well to take some of the colour out... or you could use dishsoap, that's what I might do if nothing else works.. good luck, and don't worry this happens to a lot of people... including me.. :P
    And remember hair dye is NOT permanent, so you can deffinately get it out one way or another, and if you don't, hair dye only lasts for 4 weeks, so it will come out eventully :P

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dark brown hair dye turned my hair red! [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, well I wanted to dye my hair dark brown, and it came out a deep red, that was lighter red at the roots. I had it dyed to ash brown (my natural color) and if faded in about 3 days. So 2 weeks later my hair was red again so I got it dyed ash brown again. And after a few days it started fading,...

Hair dye to dark [ 2 Answers ]

I had foils put in my hair a few months ago, naturally I am reddish brown, the foils were blond and red, I decided after a few months to go back to my natural color, however when I dyed my hair, natural brown, it came out looking black, how do I go about getting the dye to fade fast without...

How to get dark hair color dye out of my hair? [ 3 Answers ]

Please tell me how to get dark brown hair color out of my hair. It is Nice and Easy and way too dark for my complexion. Any help would be much Appreciated. Thanks,

Hair Dye Trauma-Hair turned way too dark [ 5 Answers ]

I naturally have darkish brown hair that gets lighter in the summer, then I got highlights, and one time bleach was used. I decided I didn't want so much maintenance, so I decided to dye it back to my natural color. However, the color now is SO dark, and I hate it! I bought a clarifying shampoo and...

Hair dye way too dark [ 2 Answers ]

So I dyed my hair night before last and it is way too dark. I am naturally a dark brown with some red in it. I have been dying my hair a auburn color. Well the color I picked out was way too dark but didn't look so dark on the box. How do I fix it? I know there is a color remover but will...

View more questions Search