Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tigersheart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2006, 07:46 AM
    Auto accident fiasco
    hi.
    i am writing because a friend here at work just came to me with a BIG problem and we don't even know where she should begin to seek help!

here's the deal in a nutshell: she had a van in her garage for a year that wasn't running well. in december a friend came to her because he had no vehicle and no way to get to work. she "sold" him the van, meaning, she let him have it and told him he could make payments when he got some money together. no transfer of title and the vehicle did not have insurance.

this week she gets a letter saying her vehicle was involved in an accident. she called because she thought it was a mistake (she was thinking of the van she drives now, not the one she gave away!), and she found out it was the old van and it was in a really really bad accident. she called the guy she gave the van to and he said he didn't want to alarm her so he never told her the van was stolen! i do believe, though, that they have the man in custody who stole the van and was driving it at the time of the accident.

how much trouble is my co-worker in and what steps should she take to minimize her trouble, if that is even possible???? HELP!!! we would so appreciate any advice/information/help anyone can give because she's not exactly in a position to pay for/hire a lawyer. she is a single mom with young kids!

thank you very much!!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 9, 2006, 07:56 AM
    Ok.

1. Does she have a bill of sale, a paper that says she sold this van to the other person. Does not matter if he changed the title, as long as she has a bill of sale. Most states require that auto sales can only be done in writing. So if this was a hand shake deal odds are that her state will decide she is still the legal owner. With a bill of sale, she may still have to go to court if she is sued, but she can prove she did not own it any longer.

2. stolen Van, that is easy, get a copy of the police report this "friend" filed when the van was stolen. If he did not call the police when the van was "stolen" I would have to ask why? If he filed a police report, get a copy of it, if he did not file get him to tell you why.

OK, if he did not do a bill of sale, get him to write out a complete letter and have it notorised stating that he did buy the van on so and so date, that he was to pay so and so. And telling that it was stolen and so on.

So if she has a bill of sale, if there was a police report and it appears they have arrested the person who stole the van, this is where you are at

a. you can prove you did not own the van and had no control over who was driving it.

If you don't have the bill of sale, even if it is stolen, the other driver can still come after the owner of the van for damages, they may or may not win, but you would end up going to court and need an attorney.

If it turns out there is no bill of sale, there is no police report, then the court could try and say that you had just let someone use the van, thus be liable for everything.

I would make sure I had everything in writing from this friend as to his side of the story, I also would like to see him make this statement as to his owning the van and it being stolen in a police report or at least in a suppliment to the accident report.

And unless someone sues you, there is no need for an attorney.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2006, 10:43 AM
    Hi,
    You said the title is still in your friend's name. That means that anything that happens with it is her responsibility. By now, you both know that she should NOT have let this Van leave her property with anyone, without having the title changed, and a payment paper drawn up, with showing payments are being made.
    Your friend needs a lawyer, to help with this. Talk with the Police department, about the wreck, to see if she is responsible for paying for anything that happened.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto Accident Help [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I was involved in an auto accident and I live in California. This is my first accident and I'm not sure what to do and what not to do. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks and here is my story. 8/19/06 I was sitting at a red light second car in line. The light turned green the car in front...

What Happens If Its My Fault In An Auto Accident [ 5 Answers ]

Question 1: OK if I don't have auto insurance and I hit someone who is insured and its my fault and the two children in the back seat of her car are injured but not seriously are not the drivers children can I be sued by both parties by the driver and by the parents of the children Question 2: ...

Auto accident liability [ 5 Answers ]

Recently my wife was involved in an auto accident. It was her fault (she hit a parked car). We live in a no fault state, and the person who's car she hit wants us to pay for the damages. While we have full coverage insurance, she only has personal liabilty insurance (the minimum that our state...

Proof of Insurance for a no-fault auto accident [ 6 Answers ]

I was recently involved in an accident. Unfortunately, my insurance lapsed. I have witnesses that claim the accident was not my fault. However, since I did not have insurance at the time, I do not know what I may be liable for. If I can prove the accident was not my fault, will that mean I will not...

Auto Accident In Ny [ 4 Answers ]

Scenario: Woman takes prescription medicine before driving. She later dozes off at the wheel and wrecks rental car. She admits to the cop she fell asleep.She is not charged with driving while impaired and goes and seeks medical care from her doctor for her injuries. She has now been told the...

View more questions Search