Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abcabcacba1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2008, 07:24 PM
    Overhead garage door model 556 cannot come down automatically.
    With the above model I have recently experienced failure of closure of the door with return to open position. I have to push wall unit switch all the way till door come down to close, then door auto go up again when it touch the ground which I need push switch again to ensure door is closed. I have no manuals as the unit was present when I bought my home. Replace a new door sensor (Digi-Code Universal Safety Beam Sensor CR-2149), it still have same problem. How may I adjust these correctly to allow the door to close?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Regards,
    Guest Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 5, 2008, 02:23 PM
    First, if you have the electric eye that trips the door to travel back open when it is blocked, check to make sure there is nothing blocking it and clean the sensors. A q-tip with a little window cleaner sprayed on it seemed to work. Next, check the drive chain for a plastic strip connected to it. You will have to adjust the position of this strip along the chain. There are two switches on top of the motor unit itself. When the door is almost at the ground, press on one of the switches to stop the door. You can then move the plastic strip into a position on the chain to press up against the switch when the door is in this position.
    chabpa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by abcabcacba1
    With the above model I have recently experienced failure of closure of the door with return to open position. I have to push wall unit switch all the way till door come down to close, then door auto go up again when it touch the ground which I need push switch again to ensure door is closed. I have no manuals as the unit was present when I bought my home. Replace a new door sensor (Digi-Code Universal Safety Beam Sensor CR-2149), it still have same problem. how may I adjust these correctly to allow the door to close?

Regards,
    I have the manual for the model 556. If you want just email me at [email protected].
    AbinVA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    First, if you have the electric eye that trips the door to travel back open when it is blocked, check to make sure there is nothing blocking it and clean the sensors. A q-tip with a little window cleaner sprayed on it seemed to work. Next, check the drive chain for a plastic strip connected to it. You will have to adjust the position of this strip along the chain. There are two switches on top of the motor unit itself. When the door is almost at the ground, press on one of the switches to stop the door. You can then move the plastic strip into a position on the chain to press up against the switch when the door is in this position.

I actually have a question re: this same model garage door opener.

I changed the battery on the "genie" and the repairman said to push "the" button on the main unit first and then push the genie's button to program the unit.
    There are 3 little metallic buttons on the unit--apparently important for adjustment since the door wouldn't shut after I pressed all 3 buttons. Thanks to the messge above I figured I should press the middle button to let the unit know when the door's shut.

But I still don't know how to program the genie. Any advice?
    sphardey Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 09:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by abcabcacba1 View Post
    With the above model I have recently experienced failure of closure of the door with return to open position. I have to push wall unit switch all the way till door come down to close, then door auto go up again when it touch the ground which I need push switch again to ensure door is closed. I have no manuals as the unit was present when I bought my home. Replace a new door sensor (Digi-Code Universal Safety Beam Sensor CR-2149), it still have same problem. how may I adjust these correctly to allow the door to close?

Regards,
    I have tried the Apr 5 and Aug 9 suggestions to no avail as I'm having the same issue with this model. The electric eye is blinking red as though something is in its path, but there is nothing in the path and I've cleaned both sensors. One side had a wire loose/off so restripped, reattached and still blinks red. The strips along the chain are fine and in the right position. However, I did not see the two switches referred to on top of the unit unless you need to remove something not so obvious. Any further suggestions or did you have success with this Overhead Door model 556?
    densandy13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2011, 08:43 PM
    Here is the manual.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Garage door opener MODEL 556 AND 656[1].pdf (739.7 KB, 1103 views)
    densandy13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2011, 09:07 PM
    Here is the manual
    Attached Images
  3. File Type: pdf Garage door opener MODEL 556 AND 656[1].pdf (739.7 KB, 2497 views)
    soccerman99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2012, 12:48 PM
    I can't believe the q-tip solution worked but it did! MANY thxs!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

How do I sync the keyless pad garage door opener to the main garage door opener? [ 3 Answers ]

I mistakenly gave someone my garage door opener that didn't return it. I had a male friend come over and "change the code" including my car opener and gave me a universial which he also programmed. I came to realize my code for my keyless pad outside doesn't work (since he changed the code... )....

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

Overhead door opener [ 1 Answers ]

A friend has stairs out of dining room that emerge through a rectagular opening in attic floor. The opening is covered with a piece of plywood backed by insulation board. This "flap" is hinged along one long side, and can be lifted and kept there by hook and eye. The flap appears to weigh about...

View more questions Search