Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chauncy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2006, 06:25 AM
    Basement Bathroom Vent
    I am finishing my basement. It has roughed-in plumbing under the slab for a bathtub, sink and toilet tied to pit for a sewage ejector pump to pump up to the municipal sewer. There is a 2" capped PVC pipe protruding from the first floor bathroom, which is directly above this bathroom. I am assuming this is the vent. How do I vent this new bathroom?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 9, 2006, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chauncy
    I am finishing my basement. It has roughed-in plumbing under the slab for a bathtub, sink and toilet tied to pit for a sewage ejector pump to pump up to the municipal sewer. There is a 2" capped PVC pipe protruding from the first floor bathroom, which is directly above this bathroom. I am assuming this is the vent. How do I vent this new bathroom?
    Not so fast Chauncy,

If the capped pipe in the bathroom is coming out of the holding tank then it's a dedicated vent to the roof. No other vent may be connected to it.
    Your bathroom group will be vented by the lavatory. This vent may be revented back into a existing house vent but under no circumstances can you connect back to the holding tank vent. You will have two vents coming out of the basement group. Good luck, Tom

Feb 9, 2006, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Not so fast Chauncy,

If the capped pipe in the bathroom is coming out of the holding tank then it's a dedicated vent to the roof. No other vent may be connected to it.
    Your bathroom group will be vented by the lavatory. This vent may be revented back into a existing house vent but under no circumstances can you connect back to the holding tank vent. you will have two vents coming out of the basement group. Good luck, Tom

Speedball1,

The capped pipe is from the existing house vent. The holding tank has a separate vent as you mentioned.

The sink (vanity) will tie in to the house vent. Does the tub also need to be vented. What is wet venting?
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 9, 2006, 08:04 AM
    Speedball1,

The capped pipe is from the existing house vent. The holding tank has a separate vent as you mentioned.

The sink (vanity) will tie in to the house vent. Does the tub also need to be vented. What is wet venting?
    Very good, Sounds like you're on top of everything. The tub will be wetvented by the lavatory.
    Wet venting occurs when you tie the tub drain into the lavatory drain.
    When you drain the tub it will vent through the lavatory drain and out the vent. Hence, the name"wet vent".
    Regards, tom
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Feb 9, 2006, 11:29 PM
    Or, to say it in a nutshell: a "wet-vent" is a pipe that serves as a drain for one fixture, and as a vent for another fixture.

Feb 10, 2006, 05:25 AM
    Does it matter what order the bathroom fixtures are plumbed in to assure proper venting? The bathroom is laid out from left to right with the tub, then toilet, then vanity, with the tank being approximately 30 feet away (furthest right).
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 10, 2006, 05:39 AM
    Does it matter what order the bathroom fixtures are plumbed in to assure proper venting? The bathroom is laid out from left to right with the tub, then toilet, then vanity, with the tank being approximately 30 feet away (furthest right).
    Hey Chauncy,
    It doesn't make much difference how the fixtures are configured as long as the lavatory's vented and the tub drains into the lav drain. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom Vent Pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Is It Ok To Drain My Central Ac Unit Into My 4" Bath Vent Pipe And Should There Be Water In That Pipe. The Ac Guys Did That Because The Other Ac Pipe Was Cloged.

New Basement Bathroom - Drain and Vent [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We would like to install a new bathroom (well, half bath = sink + toilet) in our basement. Currently, there is a toilet down there, sitting on a cast iron wye off the main sewer line for the house. We want to move the toilet by approx. 8 feet. The final position would be directly above...

Bathroom Vent fan GFCI circuit [ 3 Answers ]

My NuTone fan says that it's UL approved for over shower use when wired with GFCI circuit. Would it be acceptable if I ran the fan power wire first through a plain face (non-outlet, but outlet sized unit) GFCI unit, through the switch and to the fan with nothing else on that circuit? I know that I...

Bathroom Vent [ 5 Answers ]

We just remodeled a 1st floor bathroom. There is 1 sink, a shower and a toilet. They all drain into a 4" main with the shower at the far end then the sink then the shower. Before remodeling there were 2, 2" vents tapped off the horizontal main, 1 between the toilet and the sink drain entry and one...

Basement bathroom vent [ 5 Answers ]

I want to put a shower, sink and toilet in a basement I am developing. When they built the house they did not rough in any plumbing nor did they run a vent to the basement. After I break up the concrete to install the drains I still have the venting problems. Can I run a vent line horizontally out...

View more questions Search