Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    la8327 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2008, 06:34 PM
    Creditor wants me to verify debt I ask them to verify
    Can a collection agency asking me to verify a debt? I disputed the charges on my credit report and I receive a letter asking me to verify the account because they don't have enough information to verify it themselves. I called and fax them a letter to verify the debt again. The rep told me he needs me to verify the debt. I told I don't know what it is for. Can they do this? Did I answer them correctly?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2008, 06:41 PM
    Yes, tell him to the best of your knowledge it is not your debt, that you believe it is not a valid debt, So you verified it is not yours without lying, since you never said it was not, just you have no knowledge and do not know or believe it is a valid debt.

If you tell them it is valid, you have then proved their requirement, obviously they can't prove it is yours or they would not be doing that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I verify if I am a US Citizen? [ 19 Answers ]

I was naturalise before my eighteenth through my Mom birthday but I cannot find the supporting documents to verify this. I need to know if there is a number I can Call or some way I can find out my Citizenship status so that I can apply for my US Passport

Credit agency refuses to verify debt, but demands payment (Ontario) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Just as a backgrounder, I have placed my original post in quotes at the bottom. The one thing I should add is that we contacted the original alleged creditor (GMAC), who was reasonably nice, but told us that they no longer held the debt and couldn't provide us with any verification. ...

Must mortgage company verify debt? [ 9 Answers ]

I read the posts about debts and collections, and I am still a bit unclear... is a mortgage company considered a debt collector? If it matters, my mortgage is not with the original lender, it has changed hands 3 times, but contract is the same since day 1. Does my mortgage company have to...

Verify a SSN that isn't yours [ 1 Answers ]

How can I verify that social security number belongs to a specific individual. ... without subscribing to a service

Verify employment? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I received a call at my mothers house from a collection agency, the woman was yelling at my mother because she said I didn't live there (which I do not) the woman said put her on the phone right now I have the right number. In the end of the big argument the woman told my mother she...

View more questions Search