Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tugela Posts: 66, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2006, 06:04 AM
    Avg Free
    I have installed AVG Free virus scanner but now I cannot receive or send emails from outlook express. If I close AVG then I can get mail
    Any ideas - I'm running Windows XP
    Thanks
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2006, 06:12 AM
    I've been using AVG Free for about 3 years now with no problems with the email scanning plugin. You could try uninstalling it and reinstalling the most current version at http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

Feb 9, 2006, 06:19 AM
    I have done that twice now and still get the same thing happening.
    Could it be that I have norton running as well, even though I closed down the email scanner from norton I still could not get my mail
    Would ZoneAlarm affect it at all?
    Thanks
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2006, 06:28 AM
    Absolutely (about Norton). You should never have 2 AV programs running at the same time.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2006, 10:49 AM
    Hi,
    I got rid of Norton a year ago, in favor of AVG.
    AVG is much, much better, easier to use, more updates daily, and really catches most anything that it should. Some viruses did get past Norton, but none have gotten past AVG.
    My suggestion? Uninstall Norton. Best of luck.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2006, 11:43 AM
    Fred is right. Uninstall Norton. Norton is bad bad bad for you and your computer. Avg will take care of everything. Try that get Norton off your system completely and just run one virus protector which is AVG and you should be in the clear.

Feb 10, 2006, 04:32 AM
    Thanks guys you are a great help
    giggles Posts: 143, Reputation: 27

Feb 10, 2006, 12:47 PM
    Really? I thought Norton was the king! I have AVG and have problems with Addons, whatever they are. So I presumed buying a package would give better protection. Do other people think AVG is better than Norton?
    (I have never had that problem with email and AVG either Tugela)
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2006, 01:08 PM
    Yes, sir! I kind of started the AVG push around here. The problem with Norton is twofold: the large amount of computer resources it uses and the cost. The problem is worse if you buy a bundled package of Norton products, you'll notice your computer will slow down.

AVG does the job adequately and uses very little resources. It does not have all the depth of scanning options that Norton does but I don't require that. It will catch any suspicious email attachments in Outlook and Outlook Express, same with downloads from the web, if you use P2P apps it will catch any viruses as soon as the file finishes downloading. It has my vote.

Feb 10, 2006, 01:11 PM
    Aha, so maybe my addon problem is caused by having spybot,avg and spydoctor all running together?I have removed all the other virus stuff,but still keep getting this addons thing. Can I get this from Google taskbars and the like? Sorry I probably I should have started another thread.
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Feb 21, 2006, 05:09 PM
    AVG is not the answer for everyone, it's good it works for you and some people, but I had some problems with it also, and I had some viruses that got past it, now I use Ewido and NOD32, go to the virusbulleton and check out their comprehensive testing of all the virus programs, AVG ranks at the bottom of the list, NOD32, Kaspersky and Ewido are all 3 very high if not the top 3, try them out, as soon as I installed one of them they found and got rid of several things, also I have fixed and repaired computers for years, and there is no problem running more than 1 anti virus program on a computer as long as one of the 2 is not Norton, Mcafee or Panda, as soon as they detect a 2nd program they start sending you signals, that's another reason I don't use those 3, they don't want you to buy or use anything else but theirs, only problem is they are not the best anymore, I have never seen or run into any problems on any computer using more than 1 Anti Virus program in fact Ewido has its own help section to smooth out any issues you might run into by using their program with another.
    Also Ewido has an excellent online malware scanner.

Feb 21, 2006, 06:27 PM
    Thanks for all the info!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need a free PDF converter... [ 6 Answers ]

Does any one know of a free PDF to WORD or HTML converter... Preferably free? Thanks...

Free/Almost Free Online Multiplayer Games [ 51 Answers ]

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone could recommend any free/nearly free online multiplayer games. A few friends and I are looking for some good games over the internet. Preferably something other than a MMORPG as you have to devote a lot of time to those in order to keep up with each other. ...

Free Masons [ 52 Answers ]

Hey, there is a town nearby my city that has a ton of houses with those free mason signs in front of their house/ I have googled it and I understand it is a secret society, but what for? What is it that they do? Secret Society's creep me out personally. Does anyone know anything about this...

Free mp3 songs [ 2 Answers ]

Hi pals I just wanted to ask you were can I find all the free mp3 songs I need. Can you giv me a site with free indian mp3 songs ? Thank q

.com address for free [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a way that I can create a decent website for free... for example can I create an http://www."mysitenamehere".com address without having to pay for the site. I have created a geocities site before... as well as a bravenet site as well.. but they have the messed up site name like the...

View more questions Search