Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    avel Posts: 199, Reputation: 0

May 9, 2006, 08:13 PM
    Can I base in how many PC is in my workgroup to tell that I have networked it, co'z later I have 2 in my workgroup now both PC have 1 in their workgroup...

And can I ask this also, is it possible to have 2 local area connection, co'z I have 2 LAC and the PPP, and I don't how to set the 2 LAC...
    GuestWei Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

May 9, 2006, 08:19 PM
    Use dos to ping the mechine is the best way to tell if you got it networked. I have trouble sometimes with windows 2000. Take couple reboots to see the other mechine. Sometimes it doesn't show in the workgroup but after pinging and manually maping I was able to see it.

May 9, 2006, 08:27 PM
    Oh sorry I 4got to tell I change NT to XP, now I have both XP, SP1 and SP2...

Now the ping in dos sa'z sent = 4, received = 0 loss 4(100% loss)

May 9, 2006, 08:39 PM
    I can't think of anything else beside the firewall. Try different ip range to see if it helps.

May 9, 2006, 08:43 PM
    But the XP sp1 don't have firewall right, wait I have AVG does it have firewall setting how to set it up if its have...

May 9, 2006, 09:02 PM
    I am not sure what AVG does it or not. I think they have two versions one with firewall one w/o. I use norton. Basically you want to make sure firewall is setup so it will allow another ip address traffic to go through.
    As for windows default firewall. Right click on the local area network again. In the advance tab, you should be able to see firewall setting for windows xp.

May 9, 2006, 09:07 PM
    Ok there's a windows firewall what setting do have to change there are 3 tabs where should I go...

And about that 2 Local are coonnection, cause the other PC only have 1 LAC...

May 9, 2006, 09:29 PM
    Just setup for the local area connection that is connected. In the exceptions tab, make sure file and printer sharing is checked. To test if it's windows firewall cause the problem, you can try to turn it off first on both side to see if you can connect two pcs.

May 9, 2006, 10:57 PM
    OK I'll try, but can I have your ym ID so that I can buzz you, so that we can talk this through...

May 10, 2006, 03:55 PM
    I added my messenger acct. Just send me message if you have trouble.

May 11, 2006, 08:23 PM
    Ok now guys, I made my 2 PC shared the file but my client PC don't have the internet... why.. please tell me step by step...

Crossover networking

May 16, 2006, 09:09 PM
    Hi there guys this case is now close... THANK YOU for all of the advice and tips... it helps me a lot... although I have to make a little experiment but it work you give me idea thanks guys...
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

May 16, 2006, 11:24 PM
    Just curious.. does either 1 of the computer have 2 network cards installed?glad to hear you figured it out somewhat.. plz share solution

May 17, 2006, 09:51 PM
    Ok, yah 1 of them have 2 LAC in my network place and 1 ppp, but LAN card I don't think 1 of LAC is using LAN card because it looks like a metal box with hole for RJ-45 that's where I connected the modem, then I connected LAN to LAN. I enable ICS in PPP I choose LAC2 where the 2nd PC connected it automatically change the ip of LAC2 (I didn't do small home office) I just set both obtain an ip and DNS server automatically in my 2nd PC then reboot. After that whala! Success...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to network my PCs.. [ 5 Answers ]

I thought I know something about networking but when I have to network my PCs, I can't... I need help guys I guess there such thing as series and parallel connection about net working just like in electrical am I right?. Here where it started, from now on I just have 2 PCs, needed to connect... 1...

Network using XP(SP2) [ 4 Answers ]

I have a small workshop repairing computers and I am facing with the following problem: I have a PC which has two network cards:one card is connected to the DSL modem and the other card is connected to a hub.I am using internet connection sharing in order for other computers to be able to have...

Xp network [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to setup a home network. I have done everything I no how but the status says "Limited or No connectivity" I could use any help anyone could give me. Thanks

View more questions Search