Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    avel Posts: 199, Reputation: 0

Feb 9, 2006, 02:28 AM
    I can't network my 2 PC...
    I'm here again :), I want to ask how can I network my two PC I'm not using router, I'm just use a cable I already connected the two PC but seems they don't seen/locate each other does it something about what I'm using? Cause I'm using Win XP and the other is Win 2000... :confused:

Please Help...
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2006, 06:19 AM
    Hi,
    Here is a link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ussel_hni.mspx
    Scroll down to about 1/2 way, for a picture of using just a simple CAT5 "cross-over" cable to connect two computers; under the heading "How do I Connect Two PC's Together".
    It also explains how to use windows to set it up; providing you have two ethernet cards.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2006, 06:27 AM
    Did you specifically buy a cross-over cable?

Feb 9, 2006, 07:22 PM
    I didn't buy this cross over cable, a friend just gave it to me, but I can see the LAN is active since I plugin the cable... I just can't figure why still I can't network the two PC... :confused:
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 9, 2006, 09:19 PM
    As pointed out above, you must use a cross-over cable to directly connect two PC's together via their Ethernet ports...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 10, 2006, 07:18 AM
    To directly connect the 2 you need to use a specific crossover cable. If the cable you have is NOT a crossover it will not work, even though it may signify that the NIC cards have a cable connected.

You can use a hub or switch instead of a crossover and connect each PC directly to one of the ports.

Also at issue is what you intend on doing with the connection. That might change our recommendation.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Feb 10, 2006, 02:16 PM
    How to tell if you have a crossover cable:

Disconnect the cable
    Get both ends together with the metal connectors facing you
    With the metal connectors at the top compare the two connectors
    The colour sequence should be different on each connector

One should be, from the left:

Whiteorange
    Orange
    Whitegreen
    Blue
    Whiteblue
    Green
    Whitebrown
    Brown

The other should be:
    Whitegreen
    Green
    Whiteorange
    Blue
    Whiteblue
    Orange
    Whitebrown
    Brown

As you can see from this, the orange and green wires have swapped place. This is why it's called a crossover.

The colours don't really matter if they're different, but the wires in those positions need to swap places on the other connector.

Hope this makes some kind of sense!

Feb 12, 2006, 10:19 PM
    Can't I base on lan indicator cause it sa'z the two pcs is already connected by lan through cable, but why the other PC don't have its internet shared from the other PC... is it because I'm using xp as a server and Im connecting to win 2000...

Feb 13, 2006, 05:36 AM
    Not sure what LAN indicator you are referring to. It may just be indicating that a cable is connected, but not that a connection exists. As we've said you NEED a crossover cable. Have you confirmed whether you have one?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2006, 05:43 AM
    No, the LAN indicator just shows the presence of a good electrical contact between the two ends of the cable. The problem is that your 'Send' wire in the cable on one end matches up with the 'Send' connector on the other computer when it should be the 'Receive' connector. That's what the cross-over cable does: the Send on one computer becomes the Receive on the other computer.

May 4, 2006, 08:58 PM
    What do you called that tool used in locking RJ45 jack to RJ45 cable... can I use other tool like pliers..
    Is it OK to network PCs with different operating system..

May 5, 2006, 05:34 AM
    Crimper. And I would use the specific tool. They aren't expensive (see Radio Shack). Its OK to network different OSes. Ethernet is not platform specific.
    GuestWei Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

May 6, 2006, 11:10 PM
    Beside the cross cable, make sure your TCP/IP setup is correct. Make sure both computers are in the same network and network group. If you can't find cross cable just get a switch for $10. Does the same job to.

May 7, 2006, 07:28 PM
    How can I make my PC in the same network group... in networking do I have to do setting in c-mos, how do I get to c-mos in WinNT How do I setup this TCP/IP..

May 8, 2006, 05:41 AM
    Your CMOS settings don't affect networking at all. The only possible effect might be enabling an ethernet card. TCP/IP is set in your LAN configuration. WorkGroups are alos set up in LAN config. In Win NT, right click on Network Newighborhood and select properties, or from Network in Control Panel.

May 8, 2006, 08:30 PM
    If you use winxp, go to control panel->Network connections and right click on the local area correction. When you scroll down the window you should see an option internet protocol (TCP/IP), select it and click on the properties. Select "use the following IP address", enter the IP address such as 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway as 192.168.0.1. For your second PC you will change IP to 192.168.0.2 This is just an example. You can setup any range you want as long as the two pcs are in same range. To change network group, right click on my computer. Select computer name and you will see the network group. I believe the default is workgroup. Just make sure both PCs are in the same network group. To test the connection, you can try start ->run and enter cmd. In dos window, type ping 192.168.0.2. If it replys, means you have the connection. All you have to do now just to enable what you want to share between the two pcs. You should be able to see it in the my network place.

May 9, 2006, 02:54 AM
    Ok I'm in this situation now, I see 2 pc's in my workgroup but 1 of them won't open, sa'z I don't have the permission...
    Aashish Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2006, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by avel
    Ok I'm in this situation now, I see 2 pc's in my workgroup but 1 of them won't open, sa'z i don't have the permission...
    I think you haven't enabled file sharing in your PC. To access other PC on the network you must share at least one folder or drive on that PC.

To enable file sharing in win-xp open my computer (Suppose you want to share your D Drive) Right click on D drive icon and select "sharing and security" Here you will see a line "if you understand the risk ......... click here". Click on that line and after this windows will give you two options. 1. to use the wizard and 2. Just enable file sharing. In your case I would suggest that you choose "Just enable file sharing. After this make sure that "Share this folder on the network" is checked and "allow network users to change my files" checked in case you want to give full read/write access to your second PC. Now file sharing is complete for D Drive. Now try to open this computer from your win-2000 PC and it should open now. If it asks for a password, give the administrator username and password of your win-xp and it should show the shared resources of that PC.

May 9, 2006, 05:43 PM
    Still won't open and y sometimes there are 2 PC in my workgroup sometimes only 1...

May 9, 2006, 08:04 PM
    If you have firewall, make sure it's not blocking your network. I have one windows 2000 and one winxp. Sometimes it's hard to get connection. Try to setup DNS also for both mechine if your ip is 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.2, your DNS will be 192.168.0.1. After that you can try to see if you can map the folder. Open my computer, in tool bar select tool -> map network drive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to network my PCs.. [ 5 Answers ]

I thought I know something about networking but when I have to network my PCs, I can't... I need help guys I guess there such thing as series and parallel connection about net working just like in electrical am I right?. Here where it started, from now on I just have 2 PCs, needed to connect... 1...

Network using XP(SP2) [ 4 Answers ]

I have a small workshop repairing computers and I am facing with the following problem: I have a PC which has two network cards:one card is connected to the DSL modem and the other card is connected to a hub.I am using internet connection sharing in order for other computers to be able to have...

Xp network [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to setup a home network. I have done everything I no how but the status says "Limited or No connectivity" I could use any help anyone could give me. Thanks

View more questions Search