Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sleeksiamese Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2003, 06:06 PM
    Burning fat
    While exercising, your blood has to be pumping at the rate of 120 or whatever it is to burn fat. How long do you have to have to exercise at this rate in order to burn 1 gram of fat? What about calories? What's better, a bread with 70 calories with 1 gram of fat or a bread with 90 calories with 0 gram of fat?
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2003, 09:16 PM
    burning fat
    sleeksiamese, hi, you ask a pretty good question.. and it got me thinking.. let's see ;D... now.. first things first.

To get any fair amount of blood pumping going, and depending on your age, resting heart rate, and fitness level, a person would need to exercise within the 60% to 85% of the maximum heart rate. For example, if you are 20 years old, 60% is 120 beats/min. At 85%, it would be 170 beats/min.

Now as far as losing that 1 gram of fat, this would have to depend on the kind of activity you're doing and at a determined amount of time, assuming you are doing the activity non-stop continuously within that amount of time.
    But the calculation I am about to give is very general, because it does not take into account the speed at which you are doing the activity, your weight,and age. My calculation only takes into account your weight.

For example, if you are doing light activity, such as shopping, and you weigh, say, 120 lbs. TO burn off 1 gram of Fat or 9 KCAL (technically speaking, 1 gram of Fat is 8.98 KCAL to be exact), you would need
    about 3.58 mintues. The general formula I used is:

0.021 KCAL/min./lb.

So, to get that 3.58 minutes, I did the following calculation:

(.021KCAL)/60 min./120 lbs.= 151.2 KCAl/60

min.= 2.52KCAL/ min. X 3.58 min. = 9.02 KCAL

To answer your 1 bread comparison, if you mean by "better" as in losing the KCAL from FAT, PROTEIN, and CARBOHYDRATE, 90 grams of 0 calories from FAT is more preferred, with everything else being equal.

Since FAT is a concentrated source of energy and 2.25 times as much energy per gram than PROTEIN and CARBOHYDRATE, FAT, thus, takes 2.25 times longer to digest in 1 bread of 70 calories with 1 gram of FAT. It must be remembered that insulin is required to stored FAT. What that means is it takes time to stored FAT and time for 9 KCAL in 1 gram to be completely oxidized. :) ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cd burning [ 4 Answers ]

I am a church webmaster I would like to record burn long play cd fast, is there a computer with mulit cd burning stand alone. And is there a software the burn multi cd's at once.

Audio Burning... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there guys... I know how to burn, but heard that you can burn 20 audio songs in a 700MB disc even if the song is 5 min long each, how's that cause I know only 18 songs can contain a 700MB dics because of the min it only have 80 min... and its not mp3 its audio format... :confused:

Burning... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there... I know a little about burning data dics... but one thing is I want to burn a pack of installer for example Adobe CS Pack but I notice that the file size is too big it won't fit in to my 700MB cd so I want to make it 2 cds like some installer pack into 3 cds or more... but I don't know...

Burning CD [ 8 Answers ]

I am having one heck of a time trying to figure out why, all of a sudden Nero will only write CDA files. Up until recently I have had no problem writing MP3s to CD in MP3 format. I have wasted many CDs while trying to find a solution. :-/

Assorted CD Burning [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've a large number of Audio CD's. Now what I'm trying to do is burn my favourite songs from the collection of CD's into a single cd by selecting random songs from different CD's into a single CD. I've an XP Professional system with Yamaha CRW2200E CDRW. Nero toolkit is installed on the...

View more questions Search