Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shell_Lee Posts: 83, Reputation: 10

Apr 2, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Not a issue yet - dealing with a contract
    I'm getting married this coming Sat. When trying to find a place for our wedding, we needed something that was non-denominal. We found a really cute chapel that we could rent not far from where we live. It is in the middle of the county down a driveway that's at least a mile long.

I called the guy last Friday who rented the chapel to us to talk to him about the rehearsal time. Then he asked this, "Well how many people are you planning on having at your wedding?" I told him about 150. He then said, "Wow. Well I'm not sure where your going to find parking for everyone. I don't want them parking on the grass and tearing up my lawn. You guys might have to rent a bus to shuttle people." He says this to us a week before the wedding! There is a gravel parking lot for the chapel, but it isn't very large. The rest is grass.

We have a contract signed with him that states that we are responsible for all damages done to the chapel and the grounds. I guess this guy is all about money. I'm afraid that he will try to sue us for any little mark left from a tire on the grounds.

My question is this: If he tries to sue us for tire marks left on the grass, would we have a fair shot at fighting it? It clearly states on the website for the rental of the chapel, "******** Chapel can comfortably accommodate 175 guests." Doesn't he have the responsibility to provide enough parking for guests (Especially since it states that it will hold 175 people)?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2008, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shell_Lee
    I'm getting married this coming Sat. When trying to find a place for our wedding, we needed something that was non-denominal. We found a really cute chapel that we could rent not far from where we live. It is in the middle of the county down a driveway that's at least a mile long.

I called the guy last Friday who rented the chapel to us to talk to him about the rehearsal time. Then he asked this, "Well how many people are you planning on having at your wedding?" I told him about 150. He then said, "Wow. Well I'm not sure where your going to find parking for everyone. I don't want them parking on the grass and tearing up my lawn. You guys might have to rent a bus to shuttle people." He says this to us a week before the wedding! There is a gravel parking lot for the chapel, but it isn't very large. The rest is grass.

We have a contract signed with him that states that we are responsible for all damages done to the chapel and the grounds. I guess this guy is all about money. I'm afraid that he will try to sue us for any little mark left from a tire on the grounds.

My question is this: If he tries to sue us for tire marks left on the grass, would we have a fair shot at fighting it? It clearly states on the website for the rental of the chapel, "******** Chapel can comfortably accommodate 175 guests." Doesn't he have the responsibility to provide enough parking for guests (Especially since it states that it will hold 175 people)?

I don't think he's all about the money - his contract covers damage to the chapel and grass/lawn so you were forewarned.

In my area, no, he is not responsible for providing parking for the number of guests that the chapel holds - I plan not for profit events on occasion and every contract clearly states that the restaurant/hall will accommodate X people with parking for X people (or on-site parking for X people).

You signed a contract to pay for damage to the grass - if there is damage he probably will attempt to collect and I don't think you have a defense. Take photos before and after, of course, to keep him from claiming excessive damages.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2008, 03:50 PM
    Yes, for example here in Atlanta, many churches and chapels have no parking, or they may have parking for 50 cars and everyone else parks on the street or in other business lots and so on.

But you need to go out and find out ( I would in person) where parking is allowed and not allowed. How many cars and so on.
    And yes a shuttle bus is a good idea, it is commonly done here in atlanta
    Shell_Lee Posts: 83, Reputation: 10

Apr 3, 2008, 06:30 AM
    Just to add a few things:

Yes, this man is all about the money. It isn't just about the chapel (from what I told here) I didn't find this out until after we rented the chapel from him, but he is a slum lord in the area. He also goes out to families of the recently deceased, and purchases antiques for a fraction of what they are worth (he tells them they are for far less than they are really worth and many people fall for it)

For parking though, it won't be as easy as having them park in the street as there is no street. This chapel is in the country. It is down a mile long driveway. People would not be able to park alongside the road anyway because it is located on a class B highway with no shoulder. The nearest town is 15 min away. We've called about renting a bus but nothing is avail around here (since it was last min)

Taking pictures before and after is a great idea. Thank you for that.

I've contacted many people and asked them to carpool to the wedding. I'm just hoping that parking won't be a problem at all.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 3, 2008, 06:40 AM
    Hire a valet to do the parking for you. This way at least you have some control over where the cars are parked. A good valet can squueze in a number of cars.

Definitely ask people to car pool. Suggest meeting places like the nearest mall where people can meet to group up.

Call around to sod farms so you know what the cost of repairing the grass is. Have the photographer you hired do the before and after pics. You want a fairly impartial 3rd party to testify the pics were taken before and after cars arrived. Or take pictures with something that would indicate the date and time.

Once you have done everything you can, forget about it. Enjoy your day! Be comfortable in the knowledge you have done everything you can. If he does sue you, remember sentiment will be on your side. Someone who tries to ruin someone's wedding day isn't going to get much sympathy.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2008, 06:08 AM
    Hello S:

I agree with you. I think it's implied that there is ample parking for 175 people. However, because it's only implicit instead of specific, doing the above will, in my view, limit your liability if not eliminate it altogether.

If there's damage after you've taken all those precautions, and he sues - I think you'll kick his butt!

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does contract law apply to a verbal investoment contract. [ 4 Answers ]

I am a Motion Picture Executive Producer. Can the Verbal Contract and Breach thereof be asserted to the Investor to incite his involvement and a written contract with a Breach Clause.

Upon death of a seller in a real estate contract, how to get a buyer out of contract [ 23 Answers ]

In the state of Missouri, a seller in the middle of a sales contract died. The closing time is not yet lapsed and all the contingencies on the buyer side is fulfilled. There is will in place and an executor named for the estate already. The son (named executor) can not legally sign for the deceased...

Contract lawnotice of intent not to renew contract for services [ 1 Answers ]

Are notices of intent not to renew enforceable in California, and if so, is there a limit on the damages assessed (liquidated damages)? Does the consumer legal remedies act apply to small business customers in California, or only "consumers" for personal use? I contracted for 3 years for...

Can a verbal contract trump a written contract [ 5 Answers ]

I gave a deposit to a contractor to do a bathroom remodel with a 3-day grace period written into the contract to get my deposit back. The time lapsed as I waited for my appt to meet with the contractor at his showroom to pick my bathroom supplies out. When we got to the showroom the contractor...

Sales contract and inspection period issue [ 13 Answers ]

Hi all. My wife and I entered into a sales contract with a seller of a home in Kansas. Within the set 10 day inspection period we had an inspector come and do a full home inspection. There were numerous unacceptable conditions with the property that we weren't comfortable with so we signed and...

View more questions Search