Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2008, 09:22 AM
    Access 2007 eula & gen'l question(s)
    Bit o' background:

1. I've become proficient with DatabasePro and give it a 7 out of 10. It does what I want database-wise but difficult to get to web display.

2. I give Zoho Creator 8.5 out of 10. It's free and online, but I fear one day they'll go away or start charging.

3. I've purchased Access 2007 but have buyers remorse even before installing it... one because I'm disappointed to find that the license is for one install on one computer.

The questions:

a. does Access "phone home" like WinXP and Vista do? Can I get away with installing it on both my PC and my laptop?

b. Should I just scrap Access and stick with Zoho?

c. Access lovers, can you summarize in a sentence or two why Access is so great? What does it have or do that Zoho doesn't?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 2, 2008, 07:10 PM
    First, I wpild suggest reading the EULA again. All the Office apps can be installed on 2 PCs as long as both are not in use at the same time. This is to permit installing at home or office or desktop and laptop.

I'm not familiar with Zoho, but there is almost nothing that Access can't do. A great deal can be done just through the design interface. And when that isn't enough VBA can handle just about anything else. Another advantage of Access is that it's the most supported end user database out there. There are over 90 MVPs that help out on several sites. There are templates, sample files, code samples and lots more available from Microsoft and third parties.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2008, 06:43 AM
    I see I did not read far enough. The #1 item in the eula is

OVERVIEW. These license terms permit installation and use of one copy of the software on one device, along with other rights, all as described below.

... but later it does say it can also be installed on a portable device. Thanks.

I'll give it a try :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 3, 2008, 06:47 AM
    I believe all Microsoft licenses, except Windows have that provision.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband on H1, wife arrived in feb 2007 on H4, converted to F1 in Fall 2007 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was on H1 visa for the entire period of 2007 and I got married in Jan 2007 in India and came back with my wife in Feb 2007. She came on H4 visa and then started her masters on H4 visa and got it converted to F1 status here in the US itself. She has been working on campus since Sep...

Obtaining my 2007 w2 via online access [ 8 Answers ]

Where do I go online to obtain a copy of my 2007 w2?

Access 2007 Runtime FREE! [ 1 Answers ]

Microsoft has released the Runtime file for Access 2007 as a free download. This runtime allows users to run Access 2007 compatible databases without having purchased Access or Office Pro. Also free is the Developer Extensions that allow you to package an Access app with the Runtime in an...

No access to Yahoo mail today, March 10 2007 [ 2 Answers ]

I am unable to access my Yahoo e-mail account. WHY?

Hacker internet access question [ 8 Answers ]

Can a hacker gain access to my computer and use it to access the internet through my ISP?

View more questions Search