Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    radhikaravindra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2008, 07:52 AM
    ,residential status &spouse exemption for non resident alien
    Hii

My husband came to us in aug 2004 in F1 visa ,from oct 2006 to oct 2007 he was in OPT status .in oct 2007 he got his H1.

From what I understood is he has to file 1040 NR since he doesnot satify SPT 183 days test is that right ?

In case we are filing 1040 NR can he claim spouse exemption for me.we got married in dec 24th 2007 and I came to US in jan 7 2008 in dependent visa.I don't have any income here nor am I working

We are indians so that means we can also claim for $5350 std deduction as per india us treaty rt ?

Do I also have to file any return since in 1040 nr I didn't find any option of married filling jointly.I only found married filing sep so does that mean I have to file my return .if yes then what return do I have to file.I am on dependent visa and not working in US

Please do help.

Thanks in advance
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 5, 2008, 10:33 AM
    You can file jointly with your husband and you both CHOSE to be treated as resident aliens. This will allow you to claim the $10,700 joint standard deduction plus two $3,400 personal exemption (for yourself and your husband).

The downside is that you must declare ALL 2007 world-wide income. There are two offsets available, by either claiming a Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) or a Foreign Income Exclusion (Form 2555).

Even with the downside, this is probably the best way for you to file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Treaty USA-Italy Non-resident Alien Tax Exemption [ 27 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question related to the non-resident alien/resident alien problems. More in detail, I have a question about the exemption under international agreements between USA and my country Italy. Briefely, I describe my situation. I am an Italian citizien. On the 3rd of September 2002...

Filing status Resident or Non-Resident Alien [ 1 Answers ]

I am a citizen of INDIA and came to USA on 13, August 2003. I am on H1-B visa currently and would like to know, whether I come under resident (on substantial presence for more than 3 years) or Non-Resident? What form should I fill to file my taxes?

Status changed from resident alien to non-resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

I was under F1 from Aug 2002-May2007, OPT from June 2007 to Sep 2007 and now on H1-B from Oct 2007. I am married and my wife's status changed from F2 to H4. My questions are, 1. Am I considered as a dual-status(resident alien from Jan to Sep and non-resident alien from Oct to Dec)? 2. Which...

Resident alien, nonresident alien or dual status [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning, I arrived in US on Jan 6, 2004 with F-1 visa. I graduated in May 21, 2007. From May 21, 2007 until November 30, 2007 I was with OPT (that is considered still F1) and worked for a company in US. From October 1st until now (2008) I am under H1B visa working for the same company...

Resident alien or dual status alien [ 3 Answers ]

This topic has been heavily discussed, but the concept is still not clear. I have been on H1 since January 15, 2005 (was on F1/OPT before that). I received a pay-check (approx. $1500) in those 14 days on 2005 that I was on F1 status. Since "I pass the substantial presence test for 2005, I am...

View more questions Search