Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ernest carr Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Feb 8, 2006, 02:38 PM
    Can't find local area code
    I can't find local area code when setting up AOL. The set-up disk has been used before with no problem on other PCs. Just installed XP Pro with SP2 the modem does connect using AOL 800 number but can't find 661 area code to set up local connection. AOL no help
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2006, 03:41 PM
    AOL is not available in all areas. As you sign up after the first hook up, you get all sorts of options of phone numbers to use.

For example here in wonderful Sparta TN, AOL was not available last year. When I moved up here I had to drop their service since there was no local number to hook up to. I checked every year ( since I loved AOL) but they never have provided service here.

I believe they may have service here in Sparta now. So if you can't find a local number you may have to find another provider.

PeoplePC have a good servcie for the expence. When I first moved to Sparta there was only two providers in our area, so you had no real choices.

Feb 8, 2006, 05:38 PM
    Thanks but here in Bakersfield I know that there is several connection I am starting to think it's the modem that's bad
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2006, 07:11 PM
    If you are using one of their free disk, it should make the first connection to their web site to down load the programs and sign you up.
    It is a toll free number you connect with at first. If this connection is being made, then your moden is working.

During the sign up process it asks you for your phone number and then will give you a choice of phone numbers to pick from. If you are not getting any in your area, check to be sure you have properly entered the number your phone is dialing out from.

We went to high speed DSL cable and for the few extra dollars is well worth it.

Feb 8, 2006, 11:12 PM
    I Changed the Modem everythings OK now. I agree DSL is faster and better but this was a PC I put together out of spare parts and a cheap striped PC I got on e-bay for a friend that can't afford to buy one. Thanks for trying to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regarding W2 and state/local tax.. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, When filing the state tax form, do we need to add both state tax (W2 - Box 17) and local tax (W2 - Box 19) for reporting the total tax withheld by the state OR the amount in Box 17 suffices? My status for 2005 was F1/OPT. Any help is appreciated! Thanks..

Local profiles [ 3 Answers ]

Just wondering about what specifics, local profiles tie down either by using Deep Freeze after copying a specific profile to the default user, or by using the mandatory local profile. I am having some issues with default printers changing after freezing the local proflie. Are they included in a...

Local Disk [ 3 Answers ]

Dear All, I just want to ask, since I don't know what to do yesterday about my 2 local disk partition, I decided to re-install the OS, and delete all the local partition that I have. What's left to me is the C:\ drive, I lost the drive that has a 7.8 MB free space. Is there a way I can retrieve...

Local Disk [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I really thought that way. But when I check the contents of the remaining local disk it is still the same. I mean before I formatted the contents of d:\ drive is 18.6 GB and the C:\ drive is 7.8 MB after formatting, I really don't know where did the 7.8 MB contents of C:\ drive goes,...

Local Disk [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, Kindly help, My laptop has 2 local disk c:\ and D:\ how can I make it just one. My C:\ DRIVE has a 7.8 MB free space I want to transfer it to D:\ DRIVE who has A 18.5 MB free space. Your Kind help is very much appreaciated. Br, Yolly

View more questions Search