Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unhappyhair Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2008, 07:26 PM
    Fixing Level 3 Dark brown hair
    Hi, Ladies,

I have read many of your posts with a similar problem to mine. I had my hair color done by a new hairdresser. I loved my previous color (which was a level 5 or 6 with caramel highlights) and I asked her to match it. It came our WAY too dark (level 3, according to the manager) with barely there red highlights. A few days later, the manager tried to fix it with more highlights, but it just added more red and the base color is still way too dark. I don't feel like myself and I am unhappy. The manager said I could come by Friday and she would lighten it by adding a mild bleach. This sounds pretty harsh and my scalp is already tender from the color that has been done over the past few days.
    I am going to try the dishwashing liquid mixed with shampoo foloowed by deep conditioning tonight, but if this doesn't work should I go see the manager again and try the bleaching? Please help- I have a really important meeting next week and hate to go looking like this! Thanks in advance
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Apr 3, 2008, 11:59 PM
    In order to go from dark brown to light brown hair, you will need pre-lighten your hair then apply your desired color for best results. Since you want to go 2-3 shades lighter than your current color, the stylist or manager may be able to mix a bleach solution to lift and lighten the color a few shades lighter. So it would be best to return the salon and have them fix your hair.
    hfoelsing Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 03:44 PM
    I too was dyed 3 dark brown and came out "elvira" with burgundy highlights. All better now -

I went and bought both Prell (original formula - green in a clear plastic bottle) and the OOPS color remover - $15 or less for both. OH and a good conditioner. I put the Prell on dry hair and sat for 45 minutes. Washed it out, conditioned, dried hair. Note: some color ran off in the tub but when I dried - no visible change. So I put on the Color Oops (thick, long dark hair that's been bleached, colored, beaten with a stick, etc).

I am SHOCKED! As one reviewer noted, you won't see color wash down the drain, and it won't look THAT different before you dry. But when you do - halleluya (however you spell it)! ALL the black is gone, the ends are a nice med to dk brown with a slight copper highlight and the roots are... the same! Voilą! And when I say a light copper that's what I mean because red doesn't look good on me. So I just went from black with burgundy / bordeaux / purply highlights to a med to dk brown with the slightest copper highlights.

I do not know if the Color OOPS (extra strength) would have done this alone, if it did or if the 45 minute "Prell soak" helped it but sounds like we're pretty similar - do both like I did and condition well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dying my dark brown hair light brown. [ 5 Answers ]

I'd like some advice on dying my dark brown hair light brown. I dyed it myself few years ago a light ash brown and it turned red :eek: After that I had my hair stylist put blonde high lights in it to cover gray. Now that the highlights aren't covering the gray, I'd like to dye my hair light brown....

Dark brown hair dye turned my hair red! [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, well I wanted to dye my hair dark brown, and it came out a deep red, that was lighter red at the roots. I had it dyed to ash brown (my natural color) and if faded in about 3 days. So 2 weeks later my hair was red again so I got it dyed ash brown again. And after a few days it started fading,...

Can I re dye my hair from dark brown to a lighter brown or darker blonde? [ 3 Answers ]

Here is my dilemma, please help!! I wanted to do a hair color change, so I had my hair 2 toned. I told her I wanted to be dark on the bottom and blond on top so she did half the bottom dark brown and mixed sandy blond with another color for the top and it came out very brassy/red did not look...

Brown hair with highlights to dark brown [ 3 Answers ]

I want to dye my hair dark brown. My friend took cosmetology but she's out of practice. I have a medium brown color with light brown and blonde highlights right now. The roots are about 2 inches. I know that if she just uses dark brown dye the blonde highlights will be a muddy gross brown. She...

Fixing hair color on dark hair? [ 2 Answers ]

I have caramel and ash brown highlights on black hair and wanted to touch up the roots myself... unfortunately, when I used a box of medium ash brown hair dye, it made my roots look a little reddish brown (very slight on the reddish). I also covered too much so it looks like the top of my head is...

View more questions Search