Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bettor Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2006, 02:25 PM
    WinMX
    I've recently gotten back on the Internet.

Surprise, Surprise... WinMX has been served a cease & desist order. It was my favourite. I was almost successful getting back on to it, thanks to MXpie, but, with all of the Malware I had on my systems, I had no choice but to stop and do major maintenance.

I need some honest opinions about whether I should continue to try to get WinMX working again(time&effort is a factor) or search out other alternatives. Recommendations and how-to's would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sitting behind a D-Link Router, running Windows2000Pro/SP4 with Zone-Alarm, Norton-AntiVirus and MS-AntiSpyware. I use various other Anti-Virus/Spyware packages on an on-demand basis.

Any helpful information on getting(or forgetting) WinMX going again would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

Bettor
    nav Posts: 50, Reputation: 3

Feb 8, 2006, 04:38 PM
    Dude go for limewire and emule, I've got lots of anytivirus and firewalls and they don't semm to effect me, and they don't have stuff that are hidden in the software. They are both free but as always a warning, always virus check anything you download with avg as it detects things that nortan didn't when I has it.(ESPECIALLY ON LIMEWIRE) BUT ITS VERY FAST. As for winmx
    My opinion is bury it(as much as I loved it) but some die hards will always stick to it. GOOD LUCK!
    Bettor Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2006, 07:21 AM
    I will forget about WinMX.
    Thanks for the reply.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2006, 07:27 AM
    Hi, Bettor,
    I think you have made a wise decision, to forget it.
    After much research, WinMX contained a lot of "bundled" spyware, which may or may not be detected by Spyware antispyware programs. Even the newer links may still be "bundled".
    Best of luck, and thanks for posting.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 10, 2006, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettor
    I've recently gotten back on the Internet.

Surprise, Surprise... WinMX has been served a cease & desist order. It was my favourite. I was almost successful getting back on to it, thanks to MXpie, but, with all of the Malware I had on my systems, I had no choice but to stop and do major maintenance.

I need some honest opinions about whether I should continue to try to get WinMX working again(time&effort is a factor) or search out other alternatives. Recommendations and how-to's would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sitting behind a D-Link Router, running Windows2000Pro/SP4 with Zone-Alarm, Norton-AntiVirus and MS-AntiSpyware. I use various other Anti-Virus/Spyware packages on an on-demand basis.

Any helpful information on getting(or forgetting) WinMX going again would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

Bettor
    Umm, How about getting your content legally through a pay service like Napster, itunes, Rhapsody or one of several others.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Winmx [ 6 Answers ]

Have tried to download MXpie patch (auto download) but can never connect to the site. Does it still exist or is there another patch available to get winmx up and running again. OR has AOL got a firewall block to prevent access if so how do I get around this problem Regards Robintopchef

Map Ports For WinMx and a Wireless Router [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know how I can map ports needed for WinMx to work on my Win XP machine that is connected to a D-Link wireless router and then a cable modem? All other apps work OK (IE6-etc) but when setting up WinMX (music sharing program) the setup tells me that it cannot set up TCP ports like 6699...

Winmx problem [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know what's happening to WINMX?I've tried connecting 2 days in a row and can't get a connection.The web site www.winmx.com seems to be unavailable as well.I sure hope their not gone.

View more questions Search