Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    depressedhelp Posts: 91, Reputation: 3

Apr 1, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Learning Guitar. Any Tips?
    OK .
    I want 2 learn guitar
    SOOO bad
    I've been practicing.. it doesn't click.
    Lol. But I play clarient.
    Drums. Contrabass clarinet.
    I sing. I mean gawsh I need2
    Learn guitar!
    Lol
    ELECTRIC guitar by the way.
    So any advise.
    Websites,
    etc.
    Let me in on .
    :]

Thanks much.
    -me.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Apr 1, 2008, 05:49 PM
    Time and practice... I know not what you were expecting, but stringed instruments are a bit more difficult than woodwinds, and percusion.
    Have you looked in to finding a teacher? Having someone around to show you what your doing wrong and helping you fix it really helps.

Try googling how to learn guitar fast and you might come up with something.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2008, 06:14 PM
    Go to You Tube and type in guitar lessons or beginning guitar. See what pops up.
    username07 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2008, 12:21 AM
    I taught myself how to play. It takes awhile but as long as you're dedicated than you will learn. The biggest problem is adjusting your fingers to form notes. Go to ultimate-guitar.com and learn how to read tabs. Also learn the basic notes first: G, A, D, C, E. Practice by switching between the notes to adjust your fingers. Once you get into barcodes, they form so many more notes which is great for electric guitar.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2008, 03:24 AM
    I think that it would really help us here to help you the best if you would be specific as to what type of guitar playing you would like to learn. I know that you have an electric guitar. How many strings does it have? What kind of music is it that you would like to play on it? Do you want to learn just chords or classical type of playing?

Thanks!
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2008, 06:41 AM
    Beginners have no style. Only after you have sacraficed enough shredded fingers to the guitar gods, then they grant you your first taste of style. Four stirngs , six strings or whatever. Talent will make the difference.
    nanea1975 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

May 1, 2008, 03:42 PM
    Try to visualize what you're after. For example, if you're looking to accompany yourself, then learning chords would be a good start. If you'd like to be more rounded and more of a "real" guitar player, you'll want to learn chords and scales to begin with. From there, the harmony of a song is done with chords, and the melody is based on scales.

Also, change up your routine and don't limit yourself to playing stuff that's easy. It's like working out... you don't get stronger by lifting the same weight. Similarly, you'll want to challenge yourself as you go forward.

Finally, avoid practicing in front of friends because that'll encourage you to play stuff that you know and that sounds good... and you'll end up staying there.

That's about all given the limited info you provided.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 1, 2008, 03:50 PM
    I would say if you know people who play, get with them and let them show you some tips, but first you have to learn from heart all of the cords, you have to perhaps have someone say cord and your hand has to go to it, without looking. It is practice, practice , and practice, if your fingers have not gotten a blister, or bleed some ( yes really) most likely you have not practiced to the point yet.

But it will help to have someone show you a few tricks, even a teacher is a good idea to get you started before you learn a lot of bad habits on your own
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 1, 2008, 11:17 PM
    And, it's not just practice that makes perfect, but PERFECT practice that makes perfect! There are plenty of incorrect ways to practice! I still would appreciate knowing what styles of guitar playing that you would like to do, because knowing that would help people here in giving you the best advice. Different styles require different practice strategies. Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Guitar! Guitar!. need an online guru!. [ 9 Answers ]

Okay.. here's the thing: I have an electric guitar on me with a mini-amp and I love playing with it but I want to learn how to actually play it. After repeated 'playing' I have learned the strokes and fingering a little bit on my own but without some theoretical understanding, I don't seem to...

Learn the guitar. [ 15 Answers ]

I really do want a guitar for christmas. Is it quite easy to learn, will I be able to learn it? I am 12 and VERY interested in one. Any tips or anything I need to know will be appreciated. Thanks

Learning Guitar [ 26 Answers ]

I would like to learn guitar this year, just a few questions though. Is it very hard to learn and is the equipment really expensive. also what the best way to learn from a teacher a book or a computer program?

Which guitar do I get? [ 5 Answers ]

I have $250. Should I get the douglas wrl 595 emg ice blue Douglas WRL 595 EMG Ice Blue at HomeOld Or the esp ex 260 ESP EX-260 Thanks, ...

Guitar Hero/Guitar Hero II for PS3 help. [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, I don't have a PS2 'cause I made a mistake by waiting for the PS3 to come out forever, but SINCE IT'S FINALLY COMING OUT... I'm going to get it. And the first games I want are Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero II. I want to know if it'll play on my Play Station 3 since it's made for Play...

View more questions Search