Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oursoliloquies Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2008, 03:21 PM
    Suggestions for scary movies;'proper' scary
    Hi,

I've been looking for a really scary movie - really scary, the kind that you can't sleep for days(or maybe just one day.. ) after watching. I haven't really watched many but I've realized that most of which I watch are more.. well, funny than scary.

So, I'd really like suggestions for some proper scary movies..
    Oh, and you should probably know that gore is not really my thing unless the rest of the movie is worth it. Foreign movies are always welcome!

Thanks a lot.:D
    jvibe101 Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

Apr 1, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Hide and Seek pretty sweet.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Stephen king's 'IT'
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Apr 1, 2008, 05:53 PM
    I can't stand proper scary movies.. they give me the willy's... yes even the funny ones
    But, maybe try the older ones like pet semetary, or the Freddy and Jason movies??

Hope you find something scary enough for you.
    missa8324 Posts: 130, Reputation: 21

Apr 1, 2008, 05:57 PM
    The newer Amityville Horror scared the S*** out of me! I didn't even want to leave the theatre I was so scared of going out in the dark afterwards! Personally I think this is a really good scare!
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2008, 06:12 PM
    I loved 28 Days Later, but I love all zombie movies!

What sort of thing scares you? Zombies? Psychological thrillers? Slasher flicks? Monsters? Ghosts? Knowing that will help a lot with recommendations.

Wolf Creek was also pretty good.
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2008, 09:12 PM
    although not technically zombies as they can die of starvation
    THANK YOU!! I always say that and people get all snotty and say, "Well they ACT like zombies!!!" or, "Same difference!" I've just defaulted to saying it's a zombie movie, even though it isn't because they aren't dead!!

:D
    jessb Posts: 290, Reputation: 51

Apr 2, 2008, 01:50 AM
    Well I haven't seen it yet but I heard "30 days of night" was good, I love vampire movies so... try that.. :)
    EmeraldCam Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 2, 2008, 05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by oursoliloquies
    hi,

i've been looking for a really scary movie - really scary, the kind that you can't sleep for days(or maybe just one day..) after watching. i haven't really watched many but i've realized that most of which i watch are more..well, funny than scary.

so, i'd really like suggestions for some proper scary movies..
    oh, and you should probably know that gore is not really my thing unless the rest of the movie is worth it. foreign movies are always welcome!

thanks a lot.:D
    Ok, u need to get used to gore really as it can't always be avoided if you want good scary movie. If you want to know the horror genre really well then go right bak to the start- so firstly watch Nosferatu, the 1920s German Vampire film that is much more chilling then most modern movies, then watch the Universal Studio horror films Frankenstein and The Bride of Frankenstein. These films are the prototype horrors. As well as other silent classics (The hunchback of notre dame etc) There are many Universal films to watch. Then I would recommend going through the decades - the original Mystery of the Wax Museum, The cabinet of Dr. Caligari etc. I am an 80s child so I found the 70s and 80s horror films scary when I was like 10-16 but a lot of them are not that scary, but still well well worth seeing - I recommend you at least try out Hellraiser 1-3, and some of the Nightmare on Elm Streets, Poltergeist, as well as The Exorcist, you may not find them scary but they are horror classics. The best horror film I have seen in the past couple of years is The Descent - made by a true horror fan. My favourite horror films are, in no order, - Carrie, The Shining (scary as hell and brilliant), Jacob's Ladder (a intelligent film about mental illness), Suspiria, The Blair Witch Project (is only good the first time you watch it), Picnic at Hanging Rock, The Ring (original is best but American is OK too), The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Alien and Aliens, Salem's Lot, Profondo Rosso, the amazing Silence of the Lambs, Inferno, The Evil Dead (very gory), Tenebrae, Interview with a vampire (not scary but beautiful), Twin Peaks (my absolute favourite thing ever), Candyman, The Others (spooky more than scary), the original Saw only! Now this is just a small selection of my faves, my partner said he found Deliverance pretty scary, but I think it's a gory one!
    For all the horror films you could possibly wish for in one great book I totally recommend - Horror :The Definitive Guide to the Cinema of Fear , by James Marriott and Kim Newman.
    ENJOY!
    EmeraldCam Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 2, 2008, 05:46 AM
    And The Lost Boys!! I can not believe I left that out - it is one of the coolest films ever
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    THANK YOU!!!! I always say that and people get all snotty and say, "Well they ACT like zombies!!!" or, "Same difference!" I've just defaulted to saying it's a zombie movie, even though it isn't because they aren't dead!!!!

Yea same here when they call the infected zombies and I point out they're not really, people say I'm being fussy, but I can't help but point out they're wrong lol
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2008, 05:44 PM
    "jillianleab agrees: It's not being "fussy" it's being ACCURATE!!! :)"
    Damm right lol, we stand tall and proud in expressing the fact that it is not technically a zombie flick lol

Alsofirst ring movie was really scary and I heard the original japaneese one was even worse so if you can put up with subs then maybe watch that.
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2008, 06:28 PM
    albear, you're making me want to go back and edit my post to remove the fact that I said it's a zombie movie, lol! I know better than that, and now I'm horribly embarrassed! :o

Instead, I'll settle for this:

28 Days later is NOT a zombie flick - the people are infected, not dead!

Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2008, 12:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    albear, you're making me want to go back and edit my post to remove the fact that I said it's a zombie movie, lol! I know better than that, and now I'm horribly embarrassed! :o

Instead, I'll settle for this:

28 Days later is NOT a zombie flick - the people are infected, not dead!

Lol, we all make mistakes :)
    Kohoutek Posts: 83, Reputation: 3

Jan 27, 2010, 09:43 AM

I don't know if you're still looking but if you can get your hands on a copy of "The Woman in Black" it's awesome and terrifying. It's the TV film of the West End stage show of the same name and I spent the entire length of it with an uneasy feeling and my heart in my mouth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Woman_in_Black_(film)

If you're after something genuinely 'haunting' that will stay with you, I recommend ghost stories/movies rather than 'horror' films.

Try the TV adaptations of the MR James stories, as well as Charles ens ghost story The Signal-Man.
    madman81 Posts: 95, Reputation: 11

Jan 27, 2010, 11:10 AM

Check out the Strangers! Also check out Stigmata, The Gift, Stir Echos, and Strangland!
    Frogdude Posts: 190, Reputation: 46

Jan 27, 2010, 03:38 PM

Yeah, Strangeland is very cool!

There's another recent thread on this, all my suggestions can be found there.
    Frogdude Posts: 190, Reputation: 46

Jan 30, 2010, 07:16 AM

Re the subject of "Zombies"

If you want to get technical, there are very few true zombie films. "Technically" a zombie is defined as

(in myth) A corpse that has been re-animated using Voodoo
    Or
    (in fact) A person who has been put into a death like trance using a poison administered by a Voodoo priest, then re-suscitated by use of another chemical and used as a slave.

So Romero's zombie films aren't about true zombies, neither are 99% of other zombie films.

But for cinematic purposes, we class them as zombie movies. And since 28 Days deals with almost identical themes, as far as I'm concerned, it's perfectly acceptable to put it in that sub-genre.

That's if you want to get "technical" and be "accurate"...

;-)
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2010, 02:27 PM

I loved "The Stand", by Stephen King.
    "Lady In White" starring Lucas Haas when he was young. An older movie I saw when I was younger is, "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte". The original "Texas Chain Saw Massacre" from the early 1970s. "Silver Bullet" and "Ghost Ship".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scary Dreams. [ 2 Answers ]

I have been having these weird dreams... so they're mainly about the guy I like and they're all very real. And they slowly become true... what does this mean?

Scary Movies [ 9 Answers ]

so its Halloween time and my friends and i are trying to find some scary movies to watch, but we can't seem to find any. Does anyone know of some really scary movies?? haha please help:p :o :) :D

Scary rabbit [ 2 Answers ]

This is yet another animal problem. I have 2 female rabbits they are about 9 months old and they try to get on eachothers back I'm not sure whether they are trying to mate or fight, but they try to bite each other, they can't bite each other as we had their teeth out because they were overgrown....

Scary stories? [ 18 Answers ]

I have friends and family that come over sometimes and we like to share scary stories (that are true). Does anyone have any to share? (Please, no bogus stories or small stories about things flying across the room)

View more questions Search