Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iamsource Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Engine/Accelerator/Tran Issue?
    I have a Ford Crown 1988, 8 cylinder.

I don't recall the specs at this moment, but I can get them if it is necessary to answer this question.

When I accelerate, it is slow and sluggish like my pedal isn't providing anymore gas when I push it down. I have to get almost all the way to the floor for the engine to kick in and get going. I have done auto work, and am prepared to do this, but it's been a while and I've had my head in other business for the last ten years, so I will understand what is being said, for the most part.

It almost feels like I'm operating on 4 cylinders until I gun it.

I have noticed a couple slips of the tran.

One time I was at 55 mph on the interstate, and it shifted down by itself, and then back up. I did not change my accelerator peddle. I know auto trans do that, but this was like I shifted down to slow down, and then shifted back up, all in about 3 seconds.

If it is the tran, and I were going to repair it myself, what would I fix on it?

If engine, same goes.

I don't expect a guaranteed answer, but would appreciate possibilities.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2008, 02:33 PM
    I would start with Fuel filter, and transmission fluid, they will slip when low, and the fuel filter never hurts.
    Is Engine Lite on?
    iamsource Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Thank you.

I was thinking about the fuel filter a while back, but I keep disregarding it. I'm procrastinating. I had cause to ignore because of the freezing temp of winter, but it's getting warmer, so I have no excuse now.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2008, 07:29 AM
    I like to start with the easy(and cheapest) things first, and these 2 items can't hurt and can only help. Trannys will slip from lack of fluid. Trans filter and gasket is a good thing and may show condition of tranny by the metal particles present.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Apr 2, 2008, 09:27 AM
    The symptoms could indicate a clogger catalytic converter. A free check for that situation would be to temporarily remove the O2 sensor ahead on the converter and see if the performance improves. Good luck, and let us know the final fix.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Video Accelerator Engine.exe - Dll initialization failed [ 2 Answers ]

Every time when I am shutting down my computer a message appeared: "Video Accelerator Engine.exe - Dll initialization failed" while windows is shutting down. If I click OK then the same message appears back and then a new window opens up to 'End the Programme' and after it save everything it shuts...

Video Accelerator Engine.exe - Dill initialization failed [ 1 Answers ]

Every time when I shutting down my computer a message appeared: "Video Accelerator Engine.exe - Dll initialization failed" while windows is shutting down. After this message my windows blocked and I'm unable to shut down my PC. Please give a solution to stop receiving this message

Tran XB80 error message Pressure Switch erro [ 1 Answers ]

I have a pressure switch error on my Tran furnance- this is causing no call for heat. I replaced the pressure switch and that seemed to work for a couple of days, now its not calling for heat and Im getting the same error. I've cleaned out the drain hose and made sure there are no obstructions. ...

Honda 3011 tran. Belt [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a tran. Belt and I was wounder if I could get some direction on how to put in on. It's a really good mower and never had a problem except for the belt. Hope to here from someone soon. Thank charley

View more questions Search