Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baker08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2008, 02:01 PM
    My fish are gulping at the top of the water
    Hi, if anyone can help please do! I bought 2 goldfish today and I have a 95 litre tank with all the right chemicals in. The fish are gulping at the top of the water surface. The filter has a long tube running along the back of the tank producing loads of oxygen bubbles and I also have real plants. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Do you have an air stone inside the tank? If not, then you need to get one ASAP as the goldfish are literally gulping for air.
    baker08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2008, 02:11 PM
    But does it not matter that there's all the oxygen bubbles in the water ?and I've been told the real plants give off oxygen
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2008, 02:30 PM
    If your filter is producing lots of great bubbles inside the tank, then that should be good.
    Is it producing the bubbles when the water flows back into the tank?
    If so, this should be good. If not can you tell me what type filter or set up you have so I can look it up?

Have you looked at the fish to see if they have any signs of disease?

It could also be due to new tank syndrome where it has not yet cycled and the water has a high ammonia level in it.

If it's due to high ammonia levels in the water then you could help them out by changing 10% of the water and replacing it with fresh conditioned water until the cycle is complete (which will take a few weeks).

Look for signs of disease and get back to me.
    Clamped fins, white spots, trouble swimming, anything unusual?
    Do they swim at all or do they stay at the surface gulping at all times?
    Are you feeding them floating food or sinking food?
    debbie2 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 07:22 AM
    Comment on AKaeTrue's post
    You're right
    kateuk Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Jun 4, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by baker08
    hi, if anyone can help please do! i bought 2 goldfish today and i have a 95 litre tank with all the right chemicals in. The fish are gulping at the top of the water surface. The filter has a long tube running along the back of the tank producing loads of oxygen bubbles and i also have real plants. any ideas what could be wrong? thanks!
    I had this problem as well. Basically they just need loads and loads of air being pumped through, an air stone isn't necessary but if you move the filter up the wall of the tank so it creates bubbles when the water flows back in, that's great. Make sure the top of the filter is above the water's surface. Having an air pump is great, and yes the plants do release oxygen. The fish are probably just not used to the water in this tank because of their recent change, and the balance of bacteria etc is not fully settled yet as it is a new tank. Try changing some of the water as well, but not too much, as this'll unsettle them. Hope that helps!
    Xox
    MEDIstaff4u Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 01:07 AM
    Gold fish are hardy fish. Even without any of the air being physically pumped into the tank they should be fine.

They are probably acting this way out of anxiety. Or they need to be fed.

You should look up the exact type of fish that you have, and find out what the environment should be for them. If the water is being moved around too much it could stress them out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fish Floating At The Top Not Dead though what's Wrong? [ 3 Answers ]

My fish keeps on going up to the top of the tank and staying there.I think I've read somewhere that they do this when there over fed but I'm not sure.It acts like it needs to breath fresh air instead of water. It just floats at the top and then dives back down its head is allways pointing up like...

Goldfish Gulping [ 5 Answers ]

I have a cute chubby goldfish that had two siblings in amongst the regular goldfish. Unlike last year, something has killed 80% of the goldfish in our pond. I decided to take out the cute goldfish and put it in a large glass vase which I keep water bamboo. (My fighting fish lives in one of these...

Goldfish gulping at water line [ 4 Answers ]

Thank you for visiting my question.. I have two young fancy goldfish Bob is a black moor about 1.5 in, Pearl is a Pearl Scale about 2in.. and of course I have Nascar the snail. I have a 20 gal tank for the moment with a 25 gal biowheel and a airstone. My tank is 0 on the ammonia, 7 ph, nitrite...

Do fish drink water? [ 2 Answers ]

My almost 5 year old daughter wants to know what happens to the water in her golfish bowl. She says the fish drinks it. I am not so sure.

View more questions Search