Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FirstAid Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 11:53 PM
    Wash Sales! What to add to Cost Basis of Replacement Stock
    So far here's what I know about wash sales. If you sell a stock at a loss and buy the same or similar stock within 30 days, its considered a wash sale. The loss you incurred from the sale gets added to the cost basis of the new replacement stock you purchased. This is easy enough if you bought the same number of shares that you sold.

1. Is the loss carry over proportionate?
    For example
    Jan 1 Sold 100 share of XYZ stock and lost $1000. $10 loss per share
    Jan 20 Bought 50 shares of XYZ stock at $20. The loss from the sale gets carried over proportionately? The cost basis for the 50 replacement stocks is $20+$10 carry over = $30/ share. Is this correct?

2. If the above is true, lets say I do no buy any more shares of XYZ stock. What happens to the other $500 loss from the Jan 1 sale that was never applied to replacement shares? How do I report this loss? Do I not get to claim this loss?

You help is appreciated.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 1, 2008, 04:32 AM
    If your loss was disallowed because of the wash sale rules, add the disallowed loss to the cost of the new stock or securities. The result is your basis in the new stock or securities. This adjustment postpones the loss deduction until the disposition of the new stock or securities.

Out of 100 stocks sold, only 50 stocks are wash sale, since you bought 50 identical stocks.
    So your cost basis of new stocks is $30 per stock.
    FirstAid Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2008, 11:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA
    If your loss was disallowed because of the wash sale rules, add the disallowed loss to the cost of the new stock or securities. The result is your basis in the new stock or securities. This adjustment postpones the loss deduction until the disposition of the new stock or securities.

Out of 100 stocks sold, only 50 stocks are wash sale, since you bought 50 identical stocks.
    So your cost basis of new stocks is $30 per stock.

I have that part down, let you confirm what happens to the other half of the loss from the sale since I did not buy back 100 shares. Do I get to record half of the loss on the sale since technically half of the sale was a wash sale because I only bought 50 similar stocks and not the full 100 stocks.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 2, 2008, 01:12 AM
    Yes, half of 100 stocks sold is not wash sale because you did not buy those stocks within 30 days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Wash sale stock [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2000 stock bought in April 2005 at $ 2, this company is now $ 0.22. What are the rules for a wash sale of this stock. Thanks

Cost of Sales and Inventories [ 1 Answers ]

I am doing Schedule Raw Materials, I need to know do Delivery charges on the material need to be recorded on the Raw Materials schedule or on the Schedule in Work in Process. Do the "depreciatin-manufacturing" and "factory supplies used" goes on the statement along with Selling and...

Cost basis for 4 heirs of a house when 2 want to buy out other 2? [ 2 Answers ]

4 siblings inherited a house from father and got an independent appraisal for value RANGE of $185,000-$210,000 and a suggested listing price of $204,000 on day of death. Question 1: Which of these figures is the FAIR MARKET VALUE of the home that should be the stepped-up cost basis for the...

Timing of home purchase and stock sales. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a situation which I can use some advice. I've been working in PA for 6 months now and want to move my family down from NYC permanently. Also we like to purchase a place instead of renting. Now my question is relating to when should I sell stock options. What would be the best...

Short-term capital gains from stock sales [ 2 Answers ]

"Short-term stock gains are taxed as ordinary income. Therefore, the nominal tax rate will be whatever tax bracket you are in. More explicitly, it will be taxed at the federal tax rate (bracket) as determined by your taxable (not gross) income line on your federal tax return." If all of my income...

View more questions Search