Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samunder_2000 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2004, 10:15 AM
    Chin ups
    Hi,

I am a 30 year old male (67 kgs not overweight for 5'9" height). I recently tried to do chin ups for the first time. I could not lift myself up even once :( . I found this surprising (shameful rather) because even small kids were going up and down 10 - 15 times on each trial :-[. How can I become strong enough to perform at least 10 chin ups. I am kind of averse to weight training. Is there any other way? Please help me.

Thank you.
    viking Posts: 131, Reputation: 7

Apr 19, 2004, 02:37 PM
    Chin ups
    WHy are you averse to weight training and if so then why are you trying to do pullups?

Anyway, go onto the internet and purchase a pullup bar for your home. THere are inexpensive ones that will fit in your door. Everyday when you pass through the doorway try to do as many as you can. Initially you might want to use a stool or something to propel yourself from using the power of your legs to help your upper body.

Best of luck.

Apr 20, 2004, 11:38 PM
    Re: chin ups
    Hi viking,

Thank you for your reply. As for your question about weight training, I meant to say that I am for body weight only.. and not any external weights. Though I forgot the exact points, I have read quite an amount of material that recommended against (external) weight training and said body weight is the best way to build up strength. Is this wrong? :-/
    thouvie Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2004, 09:00 AM
    Chin ups are a great assessment of physical fitness. They take into account overall upper body strength because they use more than one muscle and also they rely on your body weight. So first off weight training can help your upperbody strength . Start with lat pull downs with the grip you would use on your pull ups. When you 1st find out you cannot do a pull up its depressing but don't worry you can do negatives by jumping up so that your head is above the bar and slowly lowering yourself do a couple sets of these but I don't recommend going to exhaustion because it takes longer to recooperate.
    Once your able to do one do trees three sets starting with 1, 2, 1 . Then expand on these and throw in negatives when you can't get yourself all the way up. Remember form also don't kipp, use your feet to swing yourself up over the bar. Just do pullups often and they'll come an added help is to lose weight it'll mean less weight to pull up
    Good luck

Jul 11, 2004, 06:02 AM
    Thank you.
    dave5150 Posts: 39, Reputation: 5

Dec 25, 2004, 05:39 PM
    Chin ups
    I couldn't do chin ups in high school but I started doing push ups every day to build up my strength and now I can do 15-20 chin ups. Weights are still the best but push ups are good too.
    haloumi89 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2005, 09:55 AM
    Help I am 15
    Hello I am 15 years old I am 93kg and 172cm tall I want to get to a good shape
    I am doing push ups that I couldn't do before I am up to 10 push ups but zero chin ups please help I want the best ways to get to shape P.S. I am also am on a diet. Please reply online or if possible on [email protected] :)
    sheriy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2005, 02:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by samunder_2000
    Hi,

I am a 30 year old male (67 kgs not overweight for 5'9" height). I am kind of averse to weight training. Is there any other way? Please help me.
    Thank you.
    In my opinion weight management or weight training doesent mean trying too hard stuffs to lose weight or involving yourself in those physical activities which are painful to your body. Its true that weight management do involve some practices which may be difficult but not painful. You can have some weight loss exercise from here: walking.about.com
    Shidoshi Posts: 71, Reputation: 4

Oct 16, 2005, 03:35 AM
    I am not very fond with the terms "No pain, no gain". I managed to loose weight and build my muscles just by following an online diet program and by taking things slowly (but steady). The key is to gradually increase your weight and don't forget to exercise every day (including weekends).
    A4Effort Posts: 486, Reputation: 35

Feb 26, 2009, 05:56 AM

I would not recommend working out everyday because you need to let your muscles rebuild. As you work out your muscle tissue tears. Plenty of sleep and a days rest, along with the right food will repair that muscle tissue the right way and will lead to an increase in muscle mass. So exercise, rest, and eat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About hair on my chin [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys, l need help, lam already 16, l have dark mustache growing and chin hair growing too but the beard on my chin is really light color, are there any ways that l can get it darker? If it is shaving, please list me a routine of how to shave and how many days shave betweena and how long shave...

I have lot of whiteheads on my nose & chin do you know anything that can take it away? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a lot of white-heads on my nose and chin and I want to know if there's anything that can take them away?. I have been sWEEZing them with TWEEZER and also a hair pin. And they keep on coming back in 2 days! And it hurts and also my face is left with digs and marks. Please can you help...

Rash type thing on cheeks and chin. [ 5 Answers ]

For about the past year I have had red/dry small spots on my cheeks. They aren't itchy and only slightly raised if at all. They come and go but I have them longer then I don't. A few months ago they cleared up on my right cheek and I get them worse on my left now. They have also started appearing...

View more questions Search