Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kohoutek Posts: 83, Reputation: 3

Feb 8, 2006, 04:37 AM
    Accessing FTP through My Network Places
    I'm trying to access a music file I've hidden on my website, but of course I can't remember what I've called it so I thought I'd access the FTP window and look for it that way, but I'm having trouble getting on it by putting in the ftp.address.net bit - it keeps timing out before the login box appears. I'm at work at the minute and the PCs aren't that great, but someone suggested trying to access it through My Network Places in Windows. I've done this, but it still times out before the password box appears. Now, it was suggested that there was a way to include your login details actually IN the address of the ftp site, for example if my password was 'sunbeam', it's be something like [email protected] but I can't get that to work. Does anybody know the proper way of putting your login details into the address to stop the Login box appearring? I work in a hospital, and all the PCs are on a HUGE server so I don't know if that's why it's timing out, but I'd really like to get my hands on this file today!

I hope that makes sense and that someone will be able to help. Cheers! :)
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2006, 04:56 AM
    What you want is ftp://<username>:<password>@<ftpsite>. So that's the username followed by a colon followed by the password followed by @ and then the ftp address.

For example

Code:
    ftp://myUser:[email protected]
    Alternatively, why not just download a free FTP client? FileZilla is a great one.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2006, 05:05 AM
    Your company's firewall may be blocking the standard FTP port (21).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accessing adoption records [ 6 Answers ]

Hello! I'm wondering if anyone can help me! * I'm adopted and have recently decided to search for my biological family. Thing is there is a lot of stuff about the adoption I don't know. I've heard I am entitled to view my records, but I have no idea how to go about it. If anyone can offer me any...

Accessing VB dll from VC++ [ 6 Answers ]

I have developed windows dll from VB. (The site http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2005/04/26/create_dll.html?page=3 gives a way to generate windows dll from VB). When I try to access it from VC++, it gives run time error as access violation. But I can access it from VB client If...

Accessing computer on domain [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot access one of my domain member. The error message is " Network Path Was Not Found".

Two Network cards in One computer accessing two networks.. [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if you could help me with a small problem. I have one network card (A) accessing the internal network i.e.. Net. Printer, shared folders on other computers, and shared servers. Another network card (B) accessing a public network address for VoIP and T1 traffic i.e.. Ports...

Win 2000 "My Network Places" [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, When we were running windows 98, I could hide "Network Neighborhood" with Policy Editor, with the idea being that I didn't want users to go exploring around the LAN. Office 2000 in the "Save As" window does not show "Network Neighborhood" icons in Win98, so things were pretty secure in...

View more questions Search