Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susieq6633 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 04:00 PM
    Tax on Inheritance in California
    Do I have to pay taxes on my inheritance in California?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 1, 2008, 05:32 AM
    On any money or property you inherit there is no federal tax. Also CA does not have inheritance tax.

For more information read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax on Inheritances
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 1, 2008, 05:39 AM
    Any taxes due on an inheritance is paid by the estate before distribution of the inheritance. However, if the inheritance included property or non cash assets, you may owe tax on your profit from the liquidation of the assets. The property should be valued as of the date of death. That becomes your cost basis. Any difference in the amount the property was sold for can be either profit or loss.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

California inheritance tax [ 1 Answers ]

Does California have an inheritance tax on a bequest received from an estate probated in Ireland?

California estate/inheritance tax [ 1 Answers ]

My mother died last year. Her gross estate is worth about 1.2 million, all house. ( Calif real estate). My attorney tells me the amount over 1 mil. Is taxed at 48%. Nowhere can I find information about this tax, or, that the cut off is 2 mil. Any info would be appreciated.

California Inheritance Tax [ 1 Answers ]

I just receive a California inheritance distribution of $56,000. Also I received a W-9 form from my probate lawyer. Here are my questtions of concern: Must I pay any withholding taxes to either the Federal or State for this amount of inheritance money? (If, yes, what percentage of taxes would...

California Inheritance Tax [ 2 Answers ]

Our parents are American citizens and live in California,the want us to inherit their property in California. We are British citizens and live in England, do we have to pay any death /inheritors taxes in the U.S. Their assets are worth less than $1 million.

View more questions Search