Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhesusmonkeyboy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 06:47 AM
    Whirlpool Thin Twin washes but dryer does nothing
    Oh great gurus,

I have a Whirlpool Thin Twin Model:LTE 623 4DT2 , I believe it's on the order of 8 years old.

SYMPTOM:
    The washer works absolutely fine and great, however, spontaneously the dryer does nothing. It worked once, and near as I can tell without warning... stopped working.

SPECIFICALLY:
    You "turn on" the dryer and nothing moves. It's not that it does not get hot, it doesn't move, doesn't make a sound, it doesn't acknowledge our request to do something.

PRELIMINARY TROUBLESHOOTING:

My buddy and I looked at the wiring associated with the dryer and everything looked fine. All connections existed, and there was no corrosion.

We're guessing it's the switch, but I'd like some master opinions or recommendations for ascertaining what broke.

Thanks in advance!
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2008, 07:02 AM
    So you are saying the motor dosen't ran at all? Have you check the door switch and the thermal fuse located on the back of the blower housing? If either of these have gone bad it will interrupt power to the motor

Mar 31, 2008, 08:13 AM
    So you are saying the motor dosen't ran at all??
    Correct, absolutely nothing happens. Not a single "clicking" noise, nor an attempt at a motor start up... nothing nothing.

Have you check the door switch and the thermal fuse located on the back of the blower housing? If either of these have gone bad it will interupt power to the motor
    Door Switch
    We tried looking and poking the door switch ( like apes inspecting a brick ) but now that you ask, should we try to remove it and see that the resistance changes from INFINITY to LOW-OHMS across the switch?

Thermal fuse
    Sorry, I don't know what "blower housing" is... I don't recall seeing any fuses when we removed the "front panel" along the top to take a peek at the switches et al.

Is this fuse easy to get to? Can someone tell me a general procedure to check it out?
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2008, 08:31 AM
    THe fuse is on the back side of the blower motor housing. It is where the motor that bpowes the hot air around. The motor is enclosed and has a metal cover over it The fuse is on the back side. It is about 3/8" wide and 2-3" long with a wire going into and out of it. You can jumper it to test. Or with unit UNPLUGGED check for continuity. Same for the door switch. Becareful as you are working around electricity

Mar 31, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Thanks, we'll check these out tonight.

Thanks for the additional electrical warning. I'm an EE so I unplug, wait a while and short the plug with a huge screwdriver... in case of capacitors.

So if the switch and fuse "check out," do folks think replacing the switch is a fair next step?
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2008, 09:26 AM
    I don't recommend changing parts unless you can veify it is bad

Mar 31, 2008, 11:58 AM
    Sorry t bug you, thanks for the help thus far.

If everything else checks out, how does one verify the switch? It's got tons of settings, et al, so I don't know what I should do to verify it electrically.

Thanks!

Apr 4, 2008, 06:46 AM
    CLICK FOR LARGER IMAGES:

I never found that fuse, though I did check out other guys.

First off the temperature guys looked like power mosfets almost, I was thinking big glass tube fuses, which is wrong.

Here's one of the "things" we found:

Anyway here's a schematic

I don't see the fuse of which you speak.

The switch on the dryer was "one" or "infinity" ohms depending on the setting, and I think everything else was "one" ohms, however I think one of the things we measured was 6 ohms, but I had a difficult time correlating the schematic with the dryer... the wire colors were the only help I had.

You guys suggest getting a pro? Or any other tips?
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Pictures are worth a thousand words -- hope I'm not butting in

My dryer won't run!
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2008, 09:21 AM
    Do you see at the bottomof the schem. The "thermal fuse, non resetable??" Check it for continuity or jumper around it for test purpose only. It is about3/8" wide and 2/12-3" long

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE Washer Model #WWSR3090TAWW washes, but does not spin [ 12 Answers ]

I have a GE washer that goes through the wash cycle perfectly fine, then after the water drains out, it will not spin. You can hear noise, but no spinning. Then it will fill back up with water, drain again, but again, no spinning. Can it be the motor causing this, or possibly something else? ...

A Twin Shadow, Twin Ghost, Twin Guardian? [ 3 Answers ]

I have two friends (a male and a female) that they say that they have a twin - a black being, like a shadow that guards them.. They have different cases.. My female friend said that when someone sleeps in their house, especially for the first time, they notice someone who's like roaming around in...

Whirlpool Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I need to find out where my dryer reset switch is located. Dryer model # is LER7646EQ1 My dryer was working fine pulled clothes out put more in and now won't start. It is a Whirlpool dryer. Checked the fuse box and all and unplugged it and plugged it back in and it still won't work ...

Whirlpool Dryer [ 2 Answers ]

My dryer started smelling like it was burning and would not dry the clothes. I installed a new heating element and the thermal fuses. I turned it on and still it would not get the clothes hot, then Poof, sparks shot out and it kicked the breaker. I turned the breaker back on and it shot sparks out...

Whirlpool dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool dryer and it want start... I turned my timer on and press the start button and want do anything.. but you can hear a noise at the timer button and when youn go to press the start button the noise stops... I am wondering if its the timer button or the start button?

View more questions Search