Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LauraLaura Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2006, 05:50 PM
    Sewage coming up from bath drain
    We have a large 2nd floor bathroom with the tub being separate from the shower. This morning I noticed a foul smell coming from somewhere in the bathroom but couldn't locate it. Later this afternoon, while brushing my teeth, I realized sewage was coming from the drain in my tub while the water tap from my sink was running. All the water that should be going down the drain from my sink seems to be coming up from the tub drain but it's dirty and smelly. I have tried using the plunger on the sink and in the tub to no avail. We have never had a problem and the house is 14 yrs. Old. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Laura
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 8, 2006, 06:24 AM
    Good morning Laura,

You have a blockage in the drain downstream from the bathtub that needs to be snaked out and cleared. If you wish to do the job yourself you have two options. You can remove the plate and drain stopper from the front of the tub and snake past the trap or go on the roof and send the snake down the lavatory vent pipe. Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Odor coming from shower drain [ 5 Answers ]

We’ve lived in our new house for one month. There is a pungent broccoli and dirty sock odor coming from one of the three bathrooms. Prior to moving in, the plumber dug up the slab to add a shower and moved the drain for the tub. This is a one-story and all drains in the bath are going to the same...

Sewage gas smell coming up in Master Tub [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have seen similar questions but am not sure if answer applies in my case. We recently built a house and began noticing a sewage gas smell coming up from our master bath tub. Shower is separate from tub. I also notice a gurgling sound in the master tub when we flush the master...

Sewage Smell in Basement bath [ 6 Answers ]

We moved into this house last February. The house uses a septic tank which is located itneh front yard. Teh lot slpoes downwards towards the back. As a result, the basement bath is located lower than the septic tank. In the last 2 or 3 months the smell has become unbearable. We rarely use...

Sewage smell coming from vanity cabinet area... [ 5 Answers ]

Hi... I'm new here. I know that similar questions like this have been posed here before, but I'm still confused about my situation... We just bought a house a few months ago. It's a modular. Ever since we bought the place, there has been a sewage odor coming from the master bath vanity cabinet....

Smell coming up sink drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I have read the info on smelly sink but I think this case is slightly different. There is a black smelly sludge evident on the outside gulley trap which I have now cleared. But this evil sludge is coming from the plastic pipe joining sink to gulley. I am unable to get right through the pipe to...

View more questions Search