Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    extreme42583 Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Feb 7, 2006, 03:53 PM
    Cat 5 cable question?
    Ok... I recently have made a lot of changes to my home. The house had NO phone wires except 1 jack. I added all new phone wires using cat 5 cable. I was told this was the best way. Well, I also want to be able to network all the rooms so that they have internet running from my dsl modem to router to rest of house. So how can I have DSL running through my house and still have them as normal phone lines? I know this may sound weird but ask questions and I will answer. Please... this is another problem that has stumped me. Thanks for any help I may receive.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2006, 04:57 PM
    The phone line should go to each phone jack for each regular phone, and one to the modem at the PC that will act as your server. Then each CAT 5 cable will then run from the PC location to each other PC location.

At the Server PC, you will have a DSL modem and a router. The phone line to live incoming to modem, connect the line out jack of the modem to the input of the router, and all other CAT 5 cables that go out to other PC locations will connect to the LAN output jacks on the router.

This allows 1 PC to be the server and handles the communication out to the Internet via the one modem, and the router acts to distribute the one Internet connection to the other PC's.

So at each data jack you will have one CAT5 cable/jack for the PC, and if you want a landline phone you need to run another phone cable from the main phone entrance connection, called the Demarc point, to phone jack location.

Dig this help any?

Feb 7, 2006, 05:21 PM
    OK... I have all of that already setup. What I didn't account for is someone told me you could have your phone line and your ethernet or dsl on the same cat 5 cable? Do you understand what I am saying? Sometimes I don't... lol
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2006, 06:01 PM
    Well you got me on this one, never heard of this technology.

The DSL is a high frequency signal that is induced into the phone wires, and uses a decoder to listen too the HF DSL signal, but we cannot hear this signal, esp.. With the filters a DSL carrier gives you. Even then you may hear a faint hiss, but it is not to noticeable.

So one cable handles both phone and DSL. But the DSL is only good at the jack that you use the modem. And this phone jack use only tow wire, called Tip and Ring, and the center two pins of a RJ-11 jack.

The Ethernet for the PC's uses all eight wires in the RJ45 EtherNet jack, which all connect back to the one server PC.

Sorry, I hope someone can help with this one.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2006, 06:13 PM
    Might try posting to computers or computer hardware. Seems to be a bunch of sharp guys there. I think cat 5 has 8 wires. If ether net doesn't use a couple of them, you could use them as telephone wires.
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2006, 08:59 AM
    I found, and learned something, that if you are using a 100Base-TX (category 5 or 5e cables only) or 10Base-T LAN, then there are wires not used.

Go to the web page below, and chose Item #15 in the list of FAQ:

http://www.zytrax.com/tech/layer_1/c...es_faq.htm#q16

See I have been involved with CAT5 100Base-T4 standards type wiring, which does use all eight wires. And all prewiring done in commercial and residential, we install, CAT5 cables for each PC or printers, and separate CAT 3 for telephone.

So it does appear if you are not using 100Base-T4 standards, then you can
    Use the unused wires for telephone.

Of cource there is there is VOIP technology(Voice over Internet, using an internet connection to place and receive phone calls, I think Vonage is a carrier that sells this service. I understand that a downside to VOIP is that it is not recognized by E911 systems.

We learn something every day. Hope this helps.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2006, 12:40 PM
    I use Vonage, and am very happy with it. Phone, unlimited long distance, and cable internet, all for $72/mo. Don't know if it would work any better for you than standard phone. You need ether net from a router to the analog telephone adapter. From there, it uses standard modular phone wire.

Feb 8, 2006, 05:20 PM
    I have not checked out the link yet but I am glad someone knows what I am talking about. I have to say I was a little mad because I thought it wasn't going to work. Thanks for the info and I will get back to you guys on the results. Thanks
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2006, 10:22 PM
    Just to add... I would recommend buying/borrowing a punchdown kit to terminate the cat5e. Spending the money on the patch panel and the proper jacks for the walls will make all the difference.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Feb 17, 2006, 10:05 AM
    Here is another link that explains wiring DSL through the house and how to split the data and voice sides of the line.

http://www.homephonewiring.com/dsl.html

I learned a lot from reviewing this page. And I am a geek. (I had a home network 20 years ago)

Feb 17, 2006, 10:55 AM
    One other thing, keep in mind that for running DSL for computers, you just can run the wire and then plug the computer into it.

From the NID, the wire should run to a splitter which will split off the voice and data segments.

The data then needs to go to a DSL modem and from there to a router. Assuming that you want to connect more than one computer. If you are just installing one computer, you can plug it directly into the modem.

A router will allow you to connect multiple computers and create a network. Each computer requires a unique address (commonly referret to as an IP address) so that the router knows where to send the information packets.

The modem is assigned a MAC address by your ISP so that any request for information it makes "out there" (web, vpn, etc) can make it back to the modem. The MAC address is translated to an IP address when it makes a request through the ISP routers. (DHCP) or it can have a static address assigned by the ISP.

The router, which has it's own IP address, assigns IP addresses to any computer that it connected to it. That way, when computer A makes a request to go to a web address, the computer can actually get there.

Feb 17, 2006, 02:53 PM
    Well guys I do thank you all for info. I am going to tackle this big project this weekend. I will let you know how it turns out. I just bought the punch down tool and the crimper. I figure I have about 500 feet of cat5e cable left... you never know when you are going to need some. I am having trouble finding the 110 posting block to tie everything together... any thoughts?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2006, 11:40 PM
    At my previous home, I had SBC DSL. All connected telephone jacks had the DSL available, however you needed a modem to connect. I avoided that issue by using a wireless system, available at Office Depot, Best Buy, or Radio Shack. The telephone services uses a different bandwidth than the DSL... they are used together, at the same time. You can be online with the DSL while someone else is on the telephone. With a router, several users can be online at the same time.

Mar 15, 2006, 07:19 AM
    If you are using a wireless router for your internet use, keep in mind that it runs on the 2.4 ghz bandwidth.

Most cordless phones also run at 2.4ghz. Although more are coming out on the 5.8 ghz band.

But, some of the 5.8 models actually run on both 2.4 and 5.8 so look closely. Also, some of the 2.4 ghz models claim to be wireless network friendly.

I have both 2.4 ghz and 5.8 ghz type in my house and I am running both wireless and wired networks. As of today, I have not noticed any interference from the phones. But, I do have a repeater for my wireless network.

Good luck, Dan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

RG6 cable [ 3 Answers ]

I am running wire for my satellite dish for my basement. There are two types of RG6 at Lowe's. RG6 and Digital RG6. What does the satellite and cable companies use. I can buy 250' of digital and 500' of the regular both for $70 I don't know what's best.

SER Cable [ 1 Answers ]

Is SER cable (0,0,0,2) direct bury, or must it be in conduit?

200 amp service cable [ 1 Answers ]

Good moring everyone! Quick question, I'm still in the process of upgrading to 200 amp service. I've purchaced a panel box and the guy I bought it off said he'll give me the service cable with it. The question I'm trying to find out is, the size wire he is giving me going to work 2/0, 4/0, 6/0...

Bx Cable Short [ 1 Answers ]

I Have A 1930's Era Home Which Still Has Several Old Bx Cable Circuits. Yesterday The Breaker Tripped On One Of The Circuits. I Had An Electrician Come Out Today To Check It. The Breaker Would Stay On About 2-3 Seconds. The Circuit Handles About 5 Overhead Lights And One Wall Outlet, A Total...

BX Cable [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for cutting BX armored cable without buying a special tool? I just have to cut two wires to tap into the line but am a little afraid of damaging the wires inside. Thanks. Dave.

View more questions Search