Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HarajukuGirl Posts: 207, Reputation: 9

Mar 30, 2008, 01:10 PM
    Pulling teeth
    I am gettign teeth pulled soon ( not sure which ones but ones I nthe back, a baby one and I don't know, but I know I'm getting them pulled)

I was wondering

1. Does it hurt? If so, how much? Horrible pain that would make you cry? Or just soreness, like after getting braces?

2.Is there a lot of blood?

3. How long does it take to pull one tooth out? I know that its hard to pull tooth but does it really take that long?

4. Do they numb you or knock you out?

5.Can you feel it while they do it?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I just get nervous before I see my dentist.

Ty :)

Your welcome to share experiences if you'd like. I like hearing storys :D
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Mar 30, 2008, 01:18 PM
    I had five teeth pulled in one day. I was referred to an oral surgeon to get it done. If its just one or two your dentist might do it. It doesn't hurt AT ALL. Getting your teeth cleaned hurts more. I was put to sleep via IV. That didn't even hurt. They sprayed numbing spray on my hand, then did numbing shots, then the IV. I asked them to do the numbing spray cause I'm such a baby. I hate needles. I literally had to ask them if the IV was in yet.

There is generally some blood, you'll have gauze in your mouth for a few days. The best thing to remember is no sucking activities. No straws. No smoking. I hope you don't smoke anyway...

It took them about two hours to pull my five, so do the math... it really varies, I'm sure...

You cannot feel it, no. If you are just numbed you'll probably feel the pressure as with any dental procedure. But if you are sedated then you won't feel a thing.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck. Don't worry. And the only stupid question is an unasked one.

Mar 30, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    I had five teeth pulled in one day. I was referred to an oral surgeon to get it done. If its just one or two your dentist might do it. It doesn't hurt AT ALL. Getting your teeth cleaned hurts more. I was put to sleep via IV. That didn't even hurt. They sprayed numbing spray on my hand, then did numbing shots, then the IV. I asked them to do the numbing spray cause I'm such a baby. I hate needles. I literally had to ask them if the IV was in yet.

There is generally some blood, you'll have gauze in your mouth for a few days. The best thing to remember is no sucking activities. No straws. No smoking. I hope you don't smoke anyways...

It took them about two hours to pull my five, so do the math....it really varies, I'm sure...

You cannot feel it, no. If you are just numbed you'll probably feel the pressure as with any dental procedure. But if you are sedated then you won't feel a thing.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck. Don't worry. And the only stupid question is an unasked one.
    LMAO! That made me smile, about having to ask about the IV.
    I hope they have that stuff at my dentists office.

I need a few pulled but I am going to try to make them pull out one a day because I dotn handle pain well at all... but then again better to just get it all done at once :)

I'm not sure when I'm getting ti down but its soon :D Thanks!

And of course, I'd never smoke =x

That's a wise thing to say, I was always taught "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people", but your outlook is much nicer= D haha

Oh, does that interfear while its in your mouth? Lol
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Mar 30, 2008, 01:41 PM
    NO! Get them all done at once if you can. It's so much better that way. Not only is it less expensive, but it's less healing time, and less discomfort and less staying out of school and/or work.

Nonetheless, my favorite thing while missing teeth was pudding!! Remember you'll probably be temperature sensitive so I would aviod ice cream... sad, I know!

And does what interfere while its in your mouth?

Mar 30, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Aw so no cold food haha.
    Are you so numb that you can't feel what your drinking or eating?

Oh the cotton balls/guage thingy.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2008, 05:57 PM
    Everyone experiences extractions differently.

Are you having teeth removed on the recommendation of an orthodontist?

The dentist will apply a numbing gel to your gums and then give you the injections for freezing. You will feel pressure (like someone pressing on your arm) but no pain. Bleeding varies. You will leave the dentist office biting on guaze to stop the bleeding. It may be stopped by the time you get home or you may have to put some clean guaze in (the dentist should give you some to take home with you).

As Chihuahuamomma said you have to avoid sucking, so drink anything using a straw. Also, don't rinse and spit for at least 24 hours so you don't loose the clots that form.

If you are having teeth removed in all four corners of your mouth the dentist may want to take them out in 2 appointments. He/she will do right side/left side that way your whole mouth won't be numb as well as your whole tongue. Now, if you are being put to sleep for this, then it's best to have them all removed at once to prevent the need of another general anaesthetic.

You will want a soft diet for a couple of days after your teeth are removed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 30, 2008, 08:15 PM
    I will agree I have always hated the cleaning worst.

I have had several pulled and they put some some numb gel on, then a shot to stop all the pain, so you don't feel anything but the pressure of them pulling. They normally use some gas on me to help me relax, I get worried myself.

Mar 30, 2008, 09:54 PM
    Oh yea the cleaning is nasty, they use some sandy paste on my mouth >:o
    But it makes me teeth feeel nice and clean :D

Haha

Thanks for the replys everyone

Ah I can't rinse and spit? That's going to be gross when I have to eat, because I will most likely taste blood lol.

Anestassia scares me for some reason I don't think its safe! Haha

I'll tell you all how it goes whenever I get them... yanked out :(
    I am scared already haha
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2008, 10:58 PM
    Get yourself some Nutrament.

(Product Detail (Nutrament ® ) - Novartis Medical Nutrition U.S.) from the food store. Don't get chocolate.

It will make a world of difference.

Change the gauze often. No chocolate, No coffee. No rinseing. No sucking.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2008, 11:29 PM
    All of my wisdom teeth were impacted and they were all growing in at different rates so I've had teeth pulled on three different occasions. The first and second times they only pulled one tooth at a time and they just used novacaine and I was awake the whole time and had mild soreness for a couple days but just took extra strength advil and was fine. For the third time they took out both teeth and I had to go to an oral surgeon and it was the first time I'd ever had to be knocked out (they had the IV and mask and everything and I think I might have been strapped to the chair but I'm not sure). All I remember about immediately after was seeing double of everything. I was on vicodin and extra strength advil for just over a week but thanks to the meds only mildy sore. But I couldn't open my mouth enough to eat anything solid for at least about 3 days and spent 2 in bed (ok, I was milking being babied the second though... lol). If they tell you to ice it afterwards follow their instructions. I did and I had almost no swelling. My friend didn't and she looked like a chipmunk hahahaha
    odddude6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2010, 07:34 AM
    Well if you want to know what I think, than OK. To me, I would probably say that the part that sucks the most was when they had to stick the numming needle into your mouth, man I was worried that that numming liquid would go down my throat. But the thing is, I wasn't put to sleep, I was awake when they did all this, and yes the bleeding kind of sucks to because it will keep on bleeding till the end of the day. Ok, if you want to know what the numming feels like, well here it is, Your skin can't feel almost anything and it makes your mouth feel really fat and puffed up like if you were allergic to something, I thought it felt pretty cool, but the bad thing about it is that you can't eat until the numming is completely gone so before you pull your teeth out eat until your full. And when your out of gauzes then just use a paper towel or a towel. Oh you also buy a pain removal pill before you get them pulled out. So I guess you will be all right if you follow these steps. (P.s. for me it took only 1 day for my mouth to be completely fine)
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2010, 09:52 AM
    The OP posted this over 2 years ago. I am sure she has had her problem addressed by now. Please check the date of the original posts and last post before posting a comment or advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teeth Pulling [ 5 Answers ]

Im having 7 teeth pulled at one time. That's right 7 four of them are my wisdom teeth and 2 of them have to be cut out and then Im having 3 other teeth. How long will I need to take off from work?

Does he want a relationship with me or is he pulling away? [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so I posted this in relationships, and got some nice answers... there are some additional details I wanted to post, so I hope you guys can give me some insight. Very confused right now... thanks... So here's the deal... met this guy last year a few weeks before he got deployed to iraq. We...

Pulling baby teeth [ 2 Answers ]

Is it necessary to pull out a baby tooth if it is badly decayed (large cavity)

Lower denture teeth bite: gum line up or angle teeth forward? [ 8 Answers ]

:cool: Should the bite line of the teeth on the lower denture be forward of the centerline of the gum 5 mm? Would it be better to have the lower teeth in line with the gum?

Giving a 3 year old medicine is like pulling teeth [ 2 Answers ]

Please tell what to do when a 40lb. Child refuses to take medicine.I feel like I am medicating a pittbull.I wind up wearing the medicine.He recently had strep throat and never took a drop of medicine the dr. prescribed.Blowing in his face will not work,so tell me something else.

View more questions Search