Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mamenell Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2006, 02:44 PM
    Boderline Personality Disorder
    I suspect my wife has Boderline Personality Disorder(BPD). She will never admit to this however. We are currently separated and she has physical custody of our son. I am worried that now that I am gone so to speak, that she will unleash her rages on my son. Is anyone familiar with this and is there any way to get her help?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2006, 02:53 PM
    Hi,
    No, I am not personally familiar with this.
    But, here is a site filled with information:
    http://www.psycom.net/depression.cen...orderline.html
    For now, I would keep talking with your son, and depending on his age, keep up with any "different" developments in her home by maybe asking him questions sometimes.
    Best of luck.
    weda_7526 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2006, 08:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mamenell
    I suspect my wife has Boderline Personality Disorder(BPD). She will never admit to this however. We are currently seperated and she has physical custody of our son. I am worried that now that I am gone so to speak, that she will unleash her rages on my son. Is anyone familiar with this and is there any way to get her help?
    Hi I have a boarderline personality disorder. What would you like to know about it? Looking in the book will not help in the end. May I ask why you suspect she has this certain disorder?:confused:

Feb 10, 2006, 12:08 PM
    Boarderline personality disorder deals with relationship disorders. A person can go into a rage and then be as calm as can be. It depends on the person. A psychoigst told DCFS that it was not a danger to my children so I doubt she will take it out on your son but there may be other things wrong with her.
    giggles Posts: 143, Reputation: 27

Feb 10, 2006, 12:17 PM
    You said "she will never admit to this"? Have you accused her of having this disorder? She might see it as ammunition on your part. Are you a doctor? Are you qualified to diagnose her condition?
    All I am saying is that she might perceive your "insight" as an attack, (and not do anything about it) rather than concern for your child. And you might push her further from dealing with this. The best you can do is perhaps pick up some literature and approach her in a NON JUDGMENTAL way. You are not going to get any answers if you are approaching her with labels, regardless of whether you are right or not. She will feel demeaned and will be less likely to seek any diagnosis for herself.
    Meanwhile, focus on your qualitiy time with your son, and develop your bond with him. That way, if anything is affecting him, he will come to you about it and you can nip it in the bud yourself
    Hope this is of some help.

Mar 6, 2006, 06:46 PM
    I felt you needed the facts on boarderline personality disorder. There is a specific group she can take for this. Its called DBT. It changes the thinking of a person with this disorder. I am in one of these groups. It has helped me a lot. I can now control my reactions to situations that before I would go into a rage. I wish you GOOD LUCK
    wendyCA Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Mar 10, 2006, 09:43 AM
    It is hard to suppress the knee jerk anger when a BPD person goes into a rage.

I'd explain to your son that he absolutely must remember to not take anything personally that his mother does and when and if she loses control of her temper, it has nothing to do with him.

Stress and feeling overwhelmed may exacerbate her outbursts and div is very traumatic. I hope she has enough insight to seek help for her child's sake and her own.
    indianfox Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2006, 06:26 PM
    Can somebody tell me what is Border Line Personality Disorder ?
    wendyCA Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Mar 11, 2006, 12:16 PM
    Here is a link that will explain it http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/ps...1/bpd-dsm.htm#
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 20, 2006, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wendyCA
    Here is a link that will explain it http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/ps...1/bpd-dsm.htm#
    Unfortunately, wendyCA, I've given too many ratings today to give you your due. But a big ATTABOY for the link to this site. It's very helpful and easy to understand.

Keep on the caring and compassionate assistance, we appreciate it a lot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Borderline Personality Disorder/suicide threats. [ 32 Answers ]

I need suggestions as to how to deal with a person who has a severe undiagnosed borderline personality disorder. She daily throws tantrums, is invasive, breaks objects and threatens suicide, but becomes believably sane if the authorities are called in and threatens to make false allegations...

Boarderline personality disorder [ 5 Answers ]

What is it?

Personality tests! [ 3 Answers ]

Is there anyway to show an even keel on a personality test? Can anyone tell me of a link to help me to talk one of those long and frustrating tests? Thanks

View more questions Search