Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sundancejo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Displaying/Using Wood Dining Table
    We recently purchased a beautiful dark wood dining table with patchwork inlays. We do NOT want to cover with pads or tablecloths. Is there something equivalent to a gymnasium finish that we could put on the table that would not ruin it but allow us to use it without scratching the surface?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2008, 03:07 AM
    No matter what finish that you put on your table, you are going to need to maintain it if you are going to be placing as well as scooting any sort of objects on it. The finishes are going to get scratched if they are going to be used. But, not necessarily the wood.

What sort of look is it that you would like to have for the finish? There are a number of them from which you could choose: Dull, Satin, Semi-gloss and Gloss. These types of sheens can be obtained with a number of different types of finishing materials - oils, lacquer, polyurethanes and epoxies - it does depend on how tough you want the finish to be and how beautiful you want it to be. You can even have a grain for the finish if you would like.

But, I do want to repeat here that, no matter what type of finish it is that you choose for your table, you are going to have to maintain it. That is just something normal to do for furniture, especially a dining room table, that gets used on a regular basis.

What type of look is it that you are desiring for your table? You say that it is a dark wood. What kind of wood is it, specifically, please?

One of the things that I do for a living is that I am a professional furniture refinisher. Have been doing that since about 1979.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repairing Wood Table [ 2 Answers ]

My coffee table is 34 years old and has bcome unsteady. The joints and legs are not held together with nails. I thought the best way to fix it would be to turn the table upside down, determine which joints were loose and then use an expanding wood glue (as opposed to regular wood glue that I would...

Untreated oak dining table [ 8 Answers ]

I have recently bought an untreated oak dining table and although I like the appearance of it I am concerned that I should treat it someway before use to avoid staining etc. Any advice? :confused:

Pizza box on wood coffee table [ 3 Answers ]

Well, as you can tell my the title, we did something stupid - we put a hot pizza box on the coffee table and we have a nice big stain. I've heard a steam iron will work; however, I don't own one. I've also heard toothpaste and ashes work; however, we don't smoke and we don't have a fireplace. ...

Dining table surface [ 2 Answers ]

I have a formal dining room wood table with a cherry finish. Something seems to have etched itself into the finish, either a cleaning product my wife used or something else. There are streaks that look like the table was washed with a dirty cloth. Without completely stripping or sanding this...

Height of swag off a dining table? [ 1 Answers ]

The light over our dining table is not centered over the table. I want to swag the lamp and do not have enough chain to swag to the center and need to know what a (S.W.A.G)height off the table would be? Scientific Wild Ass Guess Wayne

View more questions Search