Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Justhorsey2 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2006, 09:20 AM
    Computer won't Power Down & No Signal!
    Help!! We had a sever wind storm. :eek: I have my computer hooked up via a UPS. I missed the first power off - on - off, but I unplugged everything and powered down on the backup battery before another on - off power hit. After power resumed to normal service I plugged everything back in and powered up. My computer powers up, checks the drives, makes noise, goes from the orange working light to the green light, but my monitor has the No signal warning in Spanish or French :confused: , used to be in the English language. When I try to turn off the computer with the power button it won't shut down! I have to turn it off in back. Any ideas??
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Feb 7, 2006, 01:38 PM
    First thing to check is your monitor, plug it into another computer if you can. Did your computer stay on the ups all through this storm? Was the monitor connected to the ups? The fact that it's changed languages on you suggests that it might be fried.

Feb 8, 2006, 07:15 AM
    I tested the monitor on another computer and it works fine. Yes everything related is plugged into the UPS. No, the equipment was plugged in for one off and on then I managed to get it unplugged prior to the next several. So it isn't the monitor, what inside the computer would be fried? The mother board? The video card? Any idea why the computer won't turn off by the poser button? Thanks!
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Feb 8, 2006, 09:39 AM
    The most probable reason why the computer won't shut off is that it is set to wait 5 seconds before powering off, this prevents accidentally pressing the on/off button and losing all your work. To turn it off hold the button in for at least 5 (real) seconds. If it won't turn off at all when holding in the button you have another issue.
    As for what's fried inside the case, It could be your motherboard, cpu, video card or ram. The only way to find out is to swap out each component with a replacement until it starts working. Obviously this is easier for some people (with two similar computers) than others (with only one).
    If you have only one, I would first suggest removing each component from the motherboard and re-seating it in its slot. This can sometimes re-connect the device and solve the problem.
    If you haven't been inside a computer's case before or don't want to then you should take it to a local repair shop for diagnosis.
    Also browse around on this site for Monitor no signal errors, we've had a few of the same problems and another solution may present itself
    Good luck

Feb 8, 2006, 12:35 PM
    Thanks! I will try and reseat things. I also have some extra parts around from when I upgraded my computer, I will try those! Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer won't boot, but power light blinks [ 11 Answers ]

So I have this computer. It worked just fine for a while. But now it starts up, boots up into Windows just fine. After about 2 minutes or so, the computer will just randomly turn off. The power light will start blinking, constantly, once a second or so. I hit the power button, nothing happens. I...

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Built a Computer - no power! [ 5 Answers ]

I built a computer last night - powered it on, the fan on the power supply turned for about a second & nothing! I pulled out all the boards & DVD, hard, floppy cables, powered up and again, nothing! I don't even hear a buzz from the power supply. I even took the motherboard out of the case...

Computer Power Supply [ 9 Answers ]

Hey peepz! I recently noticed that ma new computer overheats often, which is starting to worry me slightly :eek: . I was told that it could be the power supply unit which is 250V. I have the following specs... 3400+ 64 AMD Processor MicroStar MSI MS-6741 uATX Motherboard 1024MB RAM ATI...

View more questions Search