Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fenderstrummer28 Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2008, 09:00 AM
    High school wrestling
    OK, so... the wrestling coach at my high school said he would like me to try out for the wrestling team for the upcoming season next year for some strange reason... I guess he needs more tea members. But I thought it was a pretty good idea. The only thing is I've never wrestled before, but I'm pretty built. So if there are any wrestles out there, can you tell me if wreslting is hard, easy..?

Thank u
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 09:04 AM
    Yes it is, it can be hard, and it can be easy. And it can be fun, and it can be a lot of work. You will learn holds, take downs, reversals and other wrestling moves, that you practice and do on other team members.

Often wrestling in many high schools is a forgotten sport, does not get the drama and crowds that basketball and football has but it is a wonderful sport
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 09:12 AM
    My son plays baseball and football he has palyed soccer and ice hockey. So he is pretty sports oriented. This year after watching some tournaments for his school they had open mat time for kids that wanted to give it a try. He is pretty strong and quick and he said that he had a really tuff time with a kid that was a lot smaller than he was. So if I were you I would not appraoch it as if I'm a strong guy I can slide in. Listen to your coach and learn about the sport. There was a kid in the news this year than won a wrestling championship that had only arms from the elbow up. Give it a try, you can learn something new and may enjoy it . The coach must have seen something you, to ask you to join.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 09:31 AM
    Haha its like any other sport, some people are born with a natural talent and it comes easily, others practice like crazy and still have a difficult time. Try it out. Find out for yourself. The worse that happens is you turn out to be awful at it but make some new friends, right? Or maybe you turn out to be great and end up with a nice scholarship or something. :)
    DrewL Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2009, 12:44 AM

The high school team will get you ready for your matches. Being strong is a great benefit during a match. Strength plus endurance plus skill can be domination. Learn a few good moves in all positions and master them. Stay after practice with a buddy and practice with him. Don't let anyone on the varsity put you down (like varsity wrestlers are prone to do.)
    MyMarine4 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2013, 01:14 PM
    I never wrestled in high school, but I'm an MMA fighter and boxed since I was 8 years old. I started learning wrestling (Folkstyle) when I was 13 years old and it is by far one of the toughest activities I've ever done in my life. All your muscle and whatnot means nothing on the mat. Another female fighter at my gym wrestled since she was 9 years old and there are some muscular dudes who she toys around with on the mat. It looks like a kid trying to wrestle his dad. Do off-season wrestling (I would think they have it somewhere in your county) and learn the basics. Come in humble and ready to learn. FYI make sure you're ready for the workouts. I can't stress that enough.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Night school for high school-aged people [ 15 Answers ]

I heard about there being night school for high school kids. In fact, I think a friend of a friend went to night school when I was in jr. high. I've searched Google, and can't find any listings or info for night schools in PA. Does anyone know if they exist for high schoolers, and where I could...

Going Into High School! [ 7 Answers ]

Hey, I'm 13 years old and I'm going into High School. I am the youngest person in my grade and this means that I will be the youngest in the school, I'm a little intimidated, does anyone have any advice on what to do?

After High School [ 7 Answers ]

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I have been very stressed out lately because of something that my girlfriend brought up just this week. She has mentioned that in a short time we will be done with high school and that she would be attending college in another state. (this is a guarantee) ...

What should High School really be about? [ 3 Answers ]

I Think Students Should Go To High School For What They To B In The Future. Instead Of Gooing N Taking Classes They Don't Need.

View more questions Search