Ask
    maggieg125 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2006, 07:15 AM
    Furnace blowing cold air
    Ruud oil furnace blowing cold air, fan running constantly
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2006, 07:54 AM
    I think most furnaces if the controls and heat sensors or limit switches are working right, the blower won't stay on if the heat doesn't come on. I would start checking the temperature sensors or limit switches. They will be in the heat exchanger area. To be sure what the normal reading is, you will need to find a schematic.

You might also try shutting the furnace off and then starting a heating cycle. If it starts up normally and then shuts down quickly, the problem is in the controls, may be even if it doesn't either.

Older furnaces, the blower didn't come on until a limit switch warmed up. The newer ones are on a timer on the control board, and much harder to find the problem.

One other thing is to make sure you are getting adequate air flow, no clogged filter or blocked vents.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2006, 08:16 AM
    Hi, Maggieg,
    Welcome to this site, and thank you for posting a question here. I had, at one time, an oil furnace. Later, switched to a heat pump.
    I do remember the furnace, during Thanksgiving of all times, decided to quit "lighting up", and was only blowing cold air. I got lucky, and on Thanksgiving day, our repair person came out, and found a bad igniter. The oil was flowing, but it would not "fire up" the oil.
    If you don't know how to check all this out yourself, the best thing to do is call a repair person. They can check it out in probably 10 minutes or less, and find the problem. I do wish you the very best.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2006, 11:13 AM
    If you post back with some details, I may or may not be able to help you solve the problem. There are simple things like an ingitor that anybody with much in the way of DIY skills can find and fix, maybe before a repairman would get there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas Furnace Blows Cold Air [ 18 Answers ]

This actually just started a day ago and I am trying to figure out as much as I can before calling a service person (if necessary). My apologies in advance if I am leaving out important details but I've never dealt with a faulty heater or A/C before. My central heater in the attic was running...

Heater Blowing Cold Air [ 5 Answers ]

Our Central Heating System has been on the "fritz" lately. It will work for a few hours, sometimes days kicking on and off like nomral then it will suddenly stop blowing warm air. The air is usually VERY cold, but its set on heat. There is a red light that usually starts flashing "em heat", we...

Furnace sometimes blowing cold air [ 7 Answers ]

We bought a brand-new house in May 2002. This winter (I don't think it happened last winter) when it got really cold outside, the furnace blew cold air. When it warms up outside, it starts blowing warm again. We had someone come and look at it and he told us it had a 30 degree heat pump?? And when...

Furnace won't stop blowing air - replaced the thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol U-29A that is probably about 8 years old. I don't when it started, but sometime over the summer it began acting up. The blower does not stop blowing air unless I turn off the furnace at the circuit breaker. The AC unit outside turns on and off through the thermostat, but the...

Furnace blower on, blowing cold air [ 4 Answers ]

We installed a pellet stove with the intent of using the furnace blower to distribute the air throughout the home, however, nothing but cold air comes through the vents. Can anyone tell me why this is ?

View more questions Search