Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ck1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2006, 05:53 AM
    Fed employee, must I file in both states where I live and where I work
    Hi. Was told by former CPA and filed this way through him for years. He states that because I was a fed civilian employee, I did not have to file NY state taxes and could get away with only filing NJ state taxes since that is where I live. My gut tells me he is wrong... but he comes highly recommended and I'd be shocked if he was doing something unethical or unknowingly. Please advise. Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 7, 2006, 10:09 AM
    CK1:

I am a federal employee when I am not wearing the uniform, and, except for those cases where federal employees work on a federal reservation of some type (like a military base), state tax laws apply to federal employees just like they do everyone else.

Hence, In my opinion, you do owe NY state income taxes if you worked in NY state.

A phone call or e-mail to the NY state taxing authority can confirm or deny this, and I recommend that you get that from them as the final authoritatiuve source.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Live in NJ, work IN NY [ 4 Answers ]

This year I received 2 W2's (though I have just one job and one source of income). The Federal data is the same on both W2's. The state data is different, One states NJ in Box 15, They did not exculde the 403(b) contributions and so the number is higher than the federal wages (box 1). The other W2...

Live in NJ... Work in NYC [ 1 Answers ]

I am married, currently own a home in New Jersey and am looking for work in NYC. I will be commuting to NYC via the train so I will maintain residency in NJ. My questions are, on my paycheck, what will be deducted? How will my year end taxes be affected if I file multistate? Let's say I make...

Which states I should file taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am an MBA student ( on F1 visa) in North Carolina, and did my internship in New York during summer last year. I stayed in New Jersey while doing my internship. I also have income from working in school as well. Now, which states am I required to file taxes. Can you recommend some easy sites...

Live in NJ, work in NYC [ 3 Answers ]

Just got a job in NYC. I start on the 21st of Feb. What are my tax obligations? I heard working in NYC there is a city tax or something that I need to be aware of and put money aside for, is that true? Or do I just pay NY and Jersey State taxes inext April. Also, I am married and I read...

Work in NJ live in NYC [ 1 Answers ]

I work in NJ but live in NYC. I am confused over what forms I need to fill out. I believe I have made an error in that I have filed NJ state tax using the over the phone service. Now I am told that I should have filed as a nonresident in NJ which would have gotten me all of my NJ withheld tax...

View more questions Search