Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wings10cups Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    -

Mar 28, 2008, 08:17 PM
    FL Tenant here & been served evict notice - how long until I'm forced to vacate?
    Hello all!
    I live in Clearwater, Florida, and have a few questions about eviction laws/processes. I've been served eviction papers and now have 5 business days to write a reason letter, get the full amount owed & pay my apartment complex.

I know this is my fault, and I want nothing more than to pay them the monies owed. My apt. management is telling me they won't accept partial payment, only the full amount due.

My questions:
    1. Should I bring the partial amount I have to court?
    2. And the most important question is: How long do I have until I'm forced to vacate? Of course, this would only happen if the judge deemed that I must vacate and couldn't bring the full amount (or partial) to my hearing. I don't want to fight my complex, I only want to pay them and have reasonable time before I can get everything together to move.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2008, 04:46 AM
    Hello wings:

If they accept partial payment, that means they accepted rent (even though you owe more) for the month in question and can't evict you. So, if they are of a mind to evict you, they won't accept partial rent. Neither will the judge.

You have until the day of your court appearance to correct the deficiency, but you'll going to need to pay them ALL of it.

How long will it take? Depending on how efficient your courts and your landlord are, you've probably got 3 weeks to a month before the sheriff comes a knocking...

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 08:25 AM
    OK, first at the court hearing, you either have to pay in full or show reason you should not be, or be ordered to get out.

If you can't pay, you should not force them to evict you though the court, this only goes onto a court record of evictions. So if you can't pay, you are suppose to just move out without them having to go to court.
    That is why they give you the noitice and then only those that wish not to follow their rental agreements end up in court.

But after the 5 days, the apartment managers go down and file for a court date, normally within 1 to 2 weeks locally. Then the judge will order you out in 3 days to one week.
    So you have from 2 weeks, to 4 weeks before they actually sit your property on the curb.
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Mar 29, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Answers:

1... no they probably will not accept partial payment. They will want full payment plus any late fees, attorney fees and court costs.

2... In Florida (a very landlord friendly state)... they are very quick to evict. If payment is not received at court... you can expect the sheriff within 48 hours from court date.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 27, 2011, 03:01 AM

Didn't you already post about living in Florida in August 08, then you moved to Ohio? Do you have two residences?

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...ge-573018.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Notice to Quit/Vacate (DC) [ 2 Answers ]

I live in DC and have 18 months left on the 2-year lease I signed with the landlord. About 2 months ago, the landlord informed me that he is selling the apartment, hopefully to another investor, who would then become my new landlord. The landlord ended up accepting an offer from an individual...

Notice to Vacate [ 3 Answers ]

If I put in a 30 notice to vacate before the end of my contract and the landlord enters into a contract with a new tenant (that I provided) to start the day that my contract ends. Can the landlord still keep my security deposit stating that I broke my contract.

30 day notice to Vacate [ 13 Answers ]

My landlord has given me a 30 day notice to vacate to another apartment so mine can be renovated. I have lived there since 1975 (32 years). I don't mind moving to another apartment, but on January 17th I am having heart surgery and would like to know if I can ask for more time to move. I have...

60 days notice to vacate [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We own a home which we have leased to tenants. The lease states leasor needs to give 60 days notice to vacate. We wrote a letter, giving them the 60 days notice and sent it registered mail. Turns out they were on a two week vacation and didn't receive the notice until they returned. Now,...

View more questions Search