Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Teddykhil Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2008, 07:36 PM
    USB External 2.5" HDD
    G'day there. I have a USB 2.5" Laptop external case with my back up stuff I use at TAFE College. Been working fine, no probs. I have loaded Mojo onto it as I can load Office 2007 and use it on the pc's at class time instead of Office 2003. One day I plugged it in and nothing, wouldn't show up but green light was on. Worked out that the enclosure was stuffed and purchased another new one. Plugged it into a friends PC and found it no probs. I got home to my own PC and Laptop, 'Nothing', it starts up saying there is a HDD connected but will not show up anything. It blinks 1 red, pauses, then blinks 6 times, continues to do this on both PC and laptop. The green light is always on.
    I'm using Vista Premium on PC tower and Lappy is Win XP Pro SP2, both have found the drive before with no probs.

Hope you can help, cheers and thanks in advance.
    TTFN, Kev
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 8, 2008, 10:45 AM
    The usb port may not be supplying enough current. USB specs allow 500mA of current, but most implementations are around 250mA, depending on motherboard, hence it works on your friends PC and not yours.

2.5" drives need at least 500mA to startup.

You can try connecting to the rear usb ports of a desktop PC instead of the front usb.

Use an external ac adapter. One should have been included with the external case.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Apr 8, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Side note about USB drive enclosures and power consumption...

I bought a reeeeeal cheap one a few years ago on eBay, it's pretty cool.. it's a 2.5" enclosure, but it doesn't have the option of an external power supply... it actually came with a sort of... dual USB cable. There's 2 of the rectangular plugs that connect to the computer, but one is for data and power, and the other is just for power. I always thought it was kind of cool... though it puts more stress on the USB root hub, as it has to supply more power that way, for a single device.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 8, 2008, 10:58 AM
    I have one of those too, it was my first and only foray into 2.5" external enclosures. The enclosure was cheap enough, but back then those laptop drives were quite expensive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

External HDD Write protection [ 4 Answers ]

I have an external drive with songs and I like to write protect with a software in order to avoid to delete any records. Does anybody knows how to do it?

External HDD use in diff. OS [ 10 Answers ]

I can join external HDD using USB port in my Windows XP system but when I tried to join it in a Windows 98 system (after installation of its driver) it does not work. Can you please guide me steps to joint this in Windows 98 system. In my XP system, it works fine. Second question is that I...

IDE HDD 3.5" external [ 4 Answers ]

I have an external HDD for storing movies, I think I must have two sections ( or more) to my HDD since when I go to load a movie it tells me that it is already there... but I cannot find it. Sometimes the drive letter changes on it own. And also I cannot get the movie. Can some one tell me...

External HDD Error "Insert A Disk Into Drive" [ 1 Answers ]

I have a WD HDD installed into an external case. When I plug it into a USB port, a drive letter appears in "System Hardware", and it says the driver is OK and the device is working properly. It even gives me the model number of the WD drive! Driver Agent even confirms that the driver is OK. ...

View more questions Search