Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelfire Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2006, 12:36 AM
    Should we always kneel when praying?
    Is there a particular verse in the bible that says if we should kneel always when praying.

I was brought up praying in no particular position. But my friend says that as christians, we should kneel when we pray like how muslims do when they pray. Is this founded in the bible? Im a roman catholic.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2006, 03:57 AM
    Kneeling is among many signs of special reverence (including folding the hands and bowing the head).

In addition, they are physical things we can do to help ourselves stay focused;
    In other words, both the mind and the body focused on prayer.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2006, 05:26 AM
    My personal belief, I am roman Catholic as well. We are taught to kneel when praying. Well I do not think God cares what position our bodies are in when we pray. It is about our Spirit our Heart. It is what is inside our souls when we pray that matters. We are told to meditate and pray daily. That means that we should learn to prayer and have constant connection to God at all times no matter what we are doing. So whether we are driving, cutting the grass, or working, or buying or anything we are doing. I do not think it would be wise to kneel on the job to pray especially working with machinery. I hope this answers your question and God bless!

Joe
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2006, 05:50 AM
    :( I see I did not really answer the question.

No, Neither the Bible nor Christianity in general teaches that we should always kneel.

In fact, we are taught the opposite: "To pray without ceasing"... that is, at any moment of our day.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2006, 05:57 AM
    Hi,
    To the best of my knowledge, I know of no Bible passage that indicates kneeling while praying.
    It's really up to the particular religious practices in which you participate. As already said, some bow their heads, some kneel, some pray at anytime, while driving, in bed, etc.
    If you attend a particular place of Worship, then it would be up to their practices as to how you pray.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2006, 08:08 AM
    Actually there is a passage somewhere in the Old Testament (forgive me, I could not locate it!), which says something to the effect of, "Bend the knee and bow the head at the name of Adonai". I know this passage exists because I'm Jewish and this passage is the reason why Jews traditionally bend their knees and bow their heads when praying and saying the word "Adonai". However, "bend the knee" is open to interpretation. Jews don't consider it to mean kneeling on the ground, but rather to just bend your knees slightly while remaining standing. Jews don't kneel at all, in fact, in the Jewish tradition, it's considered wrong. This dates back to Egypt, when kneeling on the ground was a sign of being a slave. Since the Jews were freed from Egypt, they are no longer slaves, and therefore don't kneel.

I seem to also recall another passage about bending the knee too... "every knee shall bend and every tongue confess" or something to that effect. I think heard this as part of a hymn in a Christian church. But I don't know if it's actually part of the bible or just part of the hymn.

I will try to find the actual verse(s) and then post them here later if I find them.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2006, 08:21 AM
    Here's one from the New Testament, the second one I was referring to:

"At the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father" (Philippians 2:10-11).

And one from Isaiah, though not the one I was referring to initially:

"By Myself have I sworn, the word is gone forth from My mouth in righteousness, and shall not come back, that unto Me every knee shall bow..." (Isaiah 45:23).

Since I started looking, I found several others that talk about "bending the knee", but again that's not necessarily outright kneeling, and I didn't find any verses that say you MUST kneel when praying.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Feb 7, 2006, 04:21 PM
    Too many people focus on the positions of prayer rather than the position the focus of prayer to God.

In fact, we are taught the opposite: "To pray without ceasing"... that is, at any moment of our day.
    This should definitely be our goal.

"At the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father" (Philippians 2:10-11).

And one from Isaiah, though not the one I was referring to initially:

"By Myself have I sworn, the word is gone forth from My mouth in righteousness, and shall not come back, that unto Me every knee shall bow..." (Isaiah 45:23).
    "Bend the knee and bow the head at the name of Adonai".
    These are very good scriptures indicating that we should kneel, as rickj states, in reverence to God.

I think also if you feel like you haven't given God the time in awhile is a great time to kneel before Him and pray. Again, as JesusHelper states, there may not be opportunity or even dangerous to bend a knee to pray so it is OK.

I hope this answers your questions in addition to the other great answers.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 7, 2006, 04:46 PM
    Kneeling is one of several ways the bible teaches us to pray.

We have an example of wearing sack cloth, putting ashes on our head and praying.

We have examples of prayer with our hands lited.

And in the New Testement we are told to pray always

In the main thing we are taught not to pray in public display to show to others we are praying, but to do it in reverence.

And we are told to go into our prayer closet ( private area for prayer)
    Many today are talking this also to the extreme and actually praying in the closet.

But yes on our knees is a main and important way of prayer, but not the only way or place or time we should be praying.
    angelfire Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2006, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Kneeling is one of several ways the bible teaches us to pray.

We have an example of wearing sack cloth, putting ashes on our head and praying.

We have examples of prayer with our hands lited.

And in the New Testement we are told to pray always

In the main thing we are taught not to pray in public display to show to others we are praying, but to do it in reverence.

And we are told to go into our prayer closet ( private area for prayer)
    many today are talking this also to the extreme and actually praying in the closet.

But yes on our knees is a main and important way of prayer, but not the only way or place or time we should be praying.
    Thanks for your pieces of enlightenmen you shared. I asked this because sometimes Im so busy, I can't bring myself to kneel in prayer before sleep. Though I pray a lot, I rarely do kneel in prayer except during Sunday masses.

Here in the Philippines, there are so many Televised Masses that sometimes I get to think if this has somehow weakened the grip of the church to its people and has somehow lost the holiness of the eucharist. Sometimes people just stay at home and watch the Sunday mass from the TV rather than go to church.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 7, 2006, 09:23 PM
    I pray every chance I get no matter where I am or whose around.I have a lot to be thankful for and I really don't care what anyone thinks or what they do about it,but unusually it isn't obvious.:cool: :)
    Hope12 Posts: 159, Reputation: 25

Feb 20, 2006, 10:59 AM
    Hello Anglefire.

The Bible shows that there was no set form of posture for prayer. All the attitudes assumed were highly respectful. Standing was a common posture. Jesus spoke of this position for prayer. Mr 11:25 Immediately after being baptized, Jesus was evidently standing and praying when the heaven was opened up and the holy spirit in bodily shape like a dove came down upon him, and God’s own voice was heard from the heavens.Lu 3:21, 22.
    Kneeling was a common attitude of prayer. Jesus himself knelt in the garden of Gethsemane. Lu 22:41 In representing the nation of Israel in prayer Solomon knelt at the inauguration of the temple. 1Ki 8:54 While many of the instances in the Bible use the word “knees” in the plural, it may be that at times a person would kneel upon one knee, as is done sometimes by modern Orientals. Ac 9:40; 20:36; 21:5; Eph 3:14.

Jesus prayed publicly, in sincerity, as did Paul and others. He also recommended private prayer. Mt 6:5, 6 But Jesus condemned ostentatiousness in making long prayers for a pretense, a practice into which some of the scribes had fallen. Mr 12:40; Lu 20:47

Christians adopted many of the customs and practices of the Jewish synagogue—ones that God did not disapprove—and the same attitudes and postures of prayer are mentioned in the Christian Greek Scriptures. Nowhere do they give support to a facial or bodily attitude of assumed piety and sanctimoniousness. They do not make any given posture, such as placing the palms together or clasping the hands when offering prayer, essential. In fact, prayers can be made silently and completely without outward manifestation, when the individual is carrying on an assigned duty or is faced with an emergency. Christians are told to carry on prayer “with every form of prayer and supplication.” Eph 6:18.

Take care,
    Hope12
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2006, 01:39 PM
    Excellent answer Hope. Welcome by the way. Joe
    nonso Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Feb 24, 2006, 02:01 PM
    Prayer is PERSONAL! Its all about how you connect with God. He is our father you know. I can illustrate with your earthly father, you can sit on his lap and communicate with him. However, in some situations, kneeling does show a reverence for GOD. For all his mercy, tenderness and playfullness, God is still a consuming fire. Check out Hb 12:29.
    faithful_chul Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2012, 05:30 AM
    I remember reading somewhere that when we kneel in prayer, we kneel at God's feet. When I read that, it made me feel completely different when I knelt in prayer... it's more... humbling in a sense, because you deliratly make God higher than yourself, if that makes sense.
    Anyway, you don't have to, but I think it honours God more because you are showing that you are his servant...
    wooddog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2012, 09:15 PM
    Prayer on your knees is a sign of reverence to THE ALMIGHTY GOD. Its true that its our hearts that He is looking at, but If we could not stand in front of God before Jesus, don't you think it is better to kneel before OUR LORD Now so when we do see Him, We will Bow in Humble Adoration..
    horseridr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2012, 07:46 PM
    8:54 And it was so, that when Solomon [see Israelite Monarchy - The United Kingdom] had made an end of praying all this prayer and supplication unto the LORD, he arose from before the altar of the LORD, from kneeling on his knees with his hands spread up to heaven." (1 Kings 8:54 KJV)
    demelocst Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2013, 01:00 PM
    Catholic.com is an amazing source to answer any and all questions about our practices. There is an interesting write up on the body postures used. I have no affiliation with catholic.com except that I am Catholic and was considering converting to another religion until I found it. I have greatly strengthen my faith and belief in the Church because of it. Here is a link that should help.

http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/can-you-help-me-defend-the-practice-of-kneeling

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Praying for financial relief [ 6 Answers ]

I have been praying for financial relief. Will I get an answer?

View more questions Search