Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Mar 28, 2008, 12:34 PM
    91 Toyota Celica won't start stuck in park
    I just bought a 91 Toyota Celica ST Automatic yesterday. The car drove like a top. I went to start it today and nothing. No noise. No nothing. But I noticed that it's stuck in park. Sometimes, I can get it to move out of park and move into other gears. But then it gets stuck again. I know that the car won't start if it's not in park correctly. Where do I start troubleshooting this at. The battery seems to be good because the lights, horns, etc. work. So where do I start. It worked fine yesterday.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2008, 02:35 PM
    . Remove battery and place it on a charger. Clean battery terminals and cable connections.

. Test all under-hood and under-dash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Read link below, if problem persists:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235560
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Mar 28, 2008, 08:23 PM
    You are a very smart person. It was the battery. I had a friend come over and give me a jump and it fired right up. I also noticed that next to the shifter is a button that if you push it, it locks it into park, which is why sometimes it would move and sometimes it wouldn't. I'm taking it to a mechanic tomorrow to make sure that the alternator is good before I go replacing the battery. Are parts from a 91 Toyota Camry interchangeable with this car. Does this car have a good reputation. I'm pretty impressed with this little old car. It runs so good. But it didn't pass the emission part of the test, but the state has a program paid for out of the price of the inspection stickers that will help pay for the expenses for getting it fixed. Up to $600. So even if the catalytic converter and the erg or egr whatever it is,is bad,then it is still cheap enough to fix under this program. The state of Texas in certain counties give you the option of trying to fix it or they will give you $3000 towards the purchse of a new car. I can't afford new car payments. And I'll already fallen in love with this little car. It's so sporty and runs so good. Thanks you for answer, you were right on the money.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2008, 08:31 PM
    Beat me to it TX. You da man! Name:  beerchug.gif
Views: 1251
Size:  2.2 KB

Mobea, if it's the 5SF-E (2.2) then yes, same engine. Not much else is interchangeable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toyota Celica Cruise Control [ 3 Answers ]

The problem I am having is the cruise control will not turn on. If you turn the wheel to the left with the cruise control switch facing up it will turn on, but when it is facing the right it will not turn on. Any suggestions, or ideas of what the part that controls this on the steering column is...

Toyota Celica Body Kit [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Toyota Celica 98 model, sixth generation of Celicas. I want to "pimp" my car and add a sporty looking body kit on. Does anyone know a manufacturer/seller of body kits. Any ideas are welcome. If you have a pimped out car please post your car's photo.

Location of fuel filter 1996 toyota celica [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know where the fuel filter on a 1996 Toyota Celica is located? Thanks, Halfabe:confused:

The car starts, but is stuck in park... [ 3 Answers ]

It's a toyota corolla... And the car turns on and everything, but it's like stuck in park, and you can't put it in reverse or drive... Anyone know what the heck is going on here?? :confused: :confused:

1990 toyota celica [ 1 Answers ]

Apparently they washed the motor and now the car won't start. I changed spark plugs, wires, cap & rotor. I have spark but I tested the injectors with the light tester and I have no signal on 2 cylinders. I'm not sure if maybe the distributor went bad. I also put some starting fluid in the breather....

View more questions Search