Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roseyhooch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2008, 11:56 AM
    Lien on my bank Account due to ex-wife spending
    I am in the process of a nasty divorce. While I was married my soon to be ex-wife signed up for credit cards under my name without my knowledge and now collectors are calling me non-stop. To make matters worse, today I noticed that the collectors agency had a court action against me (without my knowledge) and put a lien on my banking accout for over $20,000. I sold my house yesterday, but my soon to be ex-wife refuses to give up any funds, so the each of our halves of the proceeds are sitting in each of our lawyers ecrow accounts. I now have no money because I can't access my bank account and I do not have the means to pay off this debt, but I have the money in the escrow account from the sale of the house. Is there anything I can do to get this money out to pay off this martial debt??
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 28, 2008, 12:43 PM
    If you never signed the oblogation to the creditor then it isn't your obligation to pay. Ask your lawyer for advice on that but the credit card companies would have to have gotten your permission or they have no standing. Have you found out all of the credit agencies and cards that she had taken out ? If not you can obtain a credit report on yourself and see who is on there. Good Luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 28, 2008, 12:50 PM
    You need to get your lawyer on this. If they got a judgement without your knowledge it can be vacated for inproper service. If you didn't sign for these cards, then you don't own them. Or you can sue your ex for the amount.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lien on bank account [ 2 Answers ]

I opened a new account at a bank two weeks ago. I was contacted by the fraud department and was informed that the bank had accidentally sent my bank statement to another customer. I was told that the bank was putting a hold on my account, so there would be no further activity. I was told to...

Freeze on bank account due to a judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a bank account with just two deposits both direct from federal agencies. One is social security and the other is disability retirement from postal system. There are no comingled funds. In the state of Texas I have a judgement against me. Is this legaly enforceable to freeze my account...

Lien on Bank Account [ 1 Answers ]

My brother and I jointly own the house I live in. My brother has moved out and lives out of the county. Due to unpaid real estate taxes ($6,000) the County of Fairfax, Va. Has placed a bank lien on my brothers bank account. I have not received such a notice as of yet. What does this mean for my...

Lien on bank account [ 2 Answers ]

I have a judjment lien against my bank account. What go in this account are Socical Security cheks (exempt incomes). How do I do to have this lien removed or the money freed ? Thanks.

View more questions Search