Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Phason Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Mar 28, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Why do I get the desire to hurt myself?
    Hi. I have been diagnosed with depression but lately I keep getting this desire to hurt myself. I don't mean cut. I am no cutter. I just keep scratching myself so I end up with actual scratches and scraping my hand on a brick wall until it bleeds... Is this still self harm and why can't I stop myself? I want to stop but I can't resist the urge to do it. I am not looking for attention. I just want to know why I get this desire. Oh and I am not suicidal. Please help me.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2008, 11:06 PM
    If I were you, I would seek professional help. Even if you're not causing serious harm to yourself right now I can see this leading to serious harm later if you don't figure out why you're doing it and how to stop

Mar 29, 2008, 12:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55
    if i were you, i would seek professional help. even if you're not causing serious harm to yourself right now i can see this leading to serious harm later if you don't figure out why you're doing it and how to stop
    Thank you. I will tell the councillor.
    Moomin Posts: 167, Reputation: 19

Mar 29, 2008, 01:10 AM
    I'm glad you are getting counselling, I think it is a very healthy and wize move! I wish you luck!

Mar 29, 2008, 05:40 AM
    Thank you
    Username Here Posts: 72, Reputation: 2

Mar 29, 2008, 06:08 AM
    Hello,

Find the best way to vent, some people find that keeping a diary and writing down everything allows them to vent, others prefer to just scream in the middle of nowhere, some go to counselors, some go online and ask for help.

An official diagnosis of depression can sometimes make things worse, BUT you can come out of depression as a better person. Avoid stressful situations and area's where you have more of an urge to do yourself harm, try to be with someone all the time that you know will help you to stop hurting yourself.

Find a hobby, a distraction from it all, everyone needs a break. If you get involved in anything preferably a team sport where you'll find you have a great time trying to beat another team and all your woes will disappear.

Because you're diagnosed with depression, I'm assuming you've had these issues for 5 years or more, so by now you know what may possibly be causing it. You need to take whatever situation it is, and either make it positive or avoid it.

I really hope helps you, and if you need to talk private message me and I'll give you my MSN.
    svatnsdal Posts: 183, Reputation: 20
    -

Apr 4, 2008, 03:54 PM
    I know exactly how you feel. When I was 17, quite a time ago, I went through the same thing. I was severely depressed and I had to hurt myself. It's addictive! I know people think you are asking for attention, your not.
    Talk to your councillor about it. Years after my problem I learned why I did it. I went through so much emotional pain. I kept making myself think that giving myself the physical pain would make the emotional pain go away. It never did, but I kept doing it because I kept believing it would work. Plus it is very addictive.
    I have been there, you just need to open up to those around who are there to help. When I did it, there was no help. Make sure you always get the help why it's there. Maybe you'll understand yourself soon, but it may take you years to understand yourself.
    jamie71489 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 06:03 PM
    I know what you mean too, whenever I have too much emotional pain I turn it into physical pain by literally beating the crap out of myself and I don't know how to stop or control it, My boyfriend thinks I'm doing it for attention but I'm soooo not I know this is messed up and I've done everything there is to get help but it keeps on happening, I hope you get it all figured out!
    tigerlily87 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2009, 09:37 AM
    I know what you're talking about because I used to do the same thing before.I used to feel so ty about myself , I felt like I needed to punish myself. I think a counsellor is a good idea. Wish I had your strength.best of luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend lacks desire to have sex with me. [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for two years now. In the beginning the sex was wonderful and more than 2 times a day sometimes... Now I'm lucky if I get it once a week. There was one time where we went 3 weeks without any, but then did it twice and not again for another 3 weeks because I...

Why no desire? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All I'm new to the boards and just wanted to talk a bit about my situation and get opinions... I'm 24 year old Female and I've never had any real interest in having sex. I get horny sometimes when I'm by myself and do masterbate - but I have very weak orgasms and I don't even masterbate...

Loss of desire to have sex [ 12 Answers ]

I'm looking or seeking any info on natural vitamins to up my boyfriends sex drive... I believe that if I don't try something now, our relationship is going to fail because I can't deal with not having sex. Please help if you know anything I can do or talk him into doing?

Lack of sexual desire [ 1 Answers ]

My partner has a lower libido than mine and we just don't get around to having intercourse often how can I improve our sexual life?

Drastically different levels of desire [ 10 Answers ]

Perhaps someone else know what I'm feeling here… What do you do when you and your spouse have drastically different levels of sexual desire? In recent years, my wife has developed a very “take it or leave it” kind of attitude towards sex. Weeks go by where she has just no interest. She’s more...

View more questions Search