Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frida ojeda hernandez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Amazon and global warming
    How does the Amazon affects global warming
    Sitkadiver Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Apr 8, 2008, 11:29 PM
    I'm not sure I can give you a complete answer as this is a rather complex subject, but then again, that's what makes it fun right?

Anyway, the theory about the relationship between the rain forest and global warming is that the rainforest acts like a huge carbon absorber and decreases the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere by converting it into biomass in the form of trees. These tree, through photosynthesis, continue to absorb carbon dioxide and release oxygen back into the atmosphere. Keep in mind though, that it isn't just the Amazon, but all tropical rainforest that are said to have such an effect on the climate.

I should also add, however, that phytoplankton in the ocean is said to do the same thing as the rain forest - act as a carbon absorber. In fact, phytoplankton in responsible for about 70% of our planets oxygen supply.

Additionally, boreal forest, those in the upper latitudes that run through Scandinavia, Siberia and North America are far larger than the tropical rainforests and are theorized to be responsible for about 20% of our O2 supply. But I've read different estimates on their seasonal CO2 absorption and O2 emissions.

Cheers
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Just to add something here, all plants store carbon in the form of "biomass," which just means mass that is alive or once was. A huge tree that has fallen down and hasn't rotted yet is a great place to store carbon dioxide so that the CO2 won't cause global warming. Of course, you need a LOT of dead trees lying around for it to make a difference. Living trees keep soaking up more carbon every year. But usually the older the tree gets, the more slowly it grows and the less carbon it takes up. On the other hand, the bigger it is, the more carbon it's storing. Big forests like the Amazon also affect climate, but I forget how...

Besides tropical rain forests and boreal forests (evergreen firs, etc of the far north), there are also temperate "deciduous" forests that lose their leaves in winter (maples, oaks, etc), like in New England and parts of the South. They also can store carbon.

American farmers almost completely clear cut the whole eastern part of the United States in the 18th and 19th century, but the forests have grown back--although they lost a lot of species diversity in the process. Guess I'm pretty far off topic!

Cheers,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Global Warming? [ 2 Answers ]

Only in Arkansas... how this got past the editor, I can only venture to guess... 4519

Global Warming - The blame for everything. [ 7 Answers ]

The above is something I found while surfing for the history of the earth's evolution. All are now concerned about global warming - and this should be information available to all. On most sites, I found that if I wanted to read more, I had to pay for it. Other, like the above link, just was...

Global warming [ 14 Answers ]

Why arnt we putting all of our power into this situation I mean countries are going to be under waterrr... and mostly in europe I am really worried and our tempratures are hanging in many parts of earth and we are having a lot of hurricanes and such... so we arnt we putting all our mind into this.....

A global warming victim [ 11 Answers ]

Snowless in a warming world, ski resort in French Alps bids adieu Sigh... one more "cruel reminder," one ski resort down, one courageous decision, skiing will only be for the rich - are we doomed? Perhaps if we just dissociate ourselves from global warming like La Chappelle-d'Abondance is...

Benefits of global warming [ 26 Answers ]

Anyone catch this article a few days ago? But don't get excited... Like the scientists I'm still trying to figure this out. We could see both increased agricultural production and "planet-wide food" shortages, and both "mass flooding" with "planet-wide" water shortages. I wish...

View more questions Search