Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kasey54 Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2008, 08:35 AM
    Push to connect
    Any recommendations on push to connect, crimp ring and stainless steel crimp connection. Thanks
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 28, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Hi Kasey54:

I think you are asking about water pipe types/fittings... yes? If I missed this.. sorry, just let me know and will see what I can do once you straighten me out.. ok?

If I got you... I can tell you that each type seems to have a place in the business.. for sure.

I use push/connect type fittings for repair work only (and that is very rare as I have proper tools and all the fittings I need to do anything I want... ;) )

I still use copper pipe and fittings as I have been using my whole life and know this system best... however,

Pex fittings and pipe... excellent newer water piping system that has proved reliable and easy to install. I prefer the stainless steel crimp ring system over the wirsbo expansion sleeve type... but I know people that would argue for both types.

You planning on doing some water piping.. Get back to me... let me know if I am close... talk later... Mark

Mar 29, 2008, 02:40 AM
    Your right on mark. Adding the supply lines to the new bath, and later I will change out all the baseboards and galvanized tubing. My gut and my dad would tell me go with coventional copper, but tieing in and running and expense says other. I may go with copper and sweat above floors and into fixtures and connect below floor with pex that can run the supply lines. Push to connects were mainly just to make that initial tie in without having to drain the whole system, specially when I get to the heat, since I probably can't do it all in one day. Thanks
    Kc
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 04:51 AM
    Hey Kasey54:

I think you are right on track by thinking of combining conventional copper with newer pex.

Check out the copper x pex stub out at pic. Below.

You can also presolder a bunch of these up yourself using 1/2" copper pipe (type L), 1/2" pex x 1/2" copper straight adapters and 1/2" copper caps and elbows.

The big advantages to this are that:

1) pex does not like to make short 90 degree turns easily.

2) copper can be clipped/hung rigidly and stays rigid and aligned

3) can use conventional finish fitttings for copper (sweat or compression).

You can do the same for heat pipes, too. This way you have transitioned to copper pipe out of wall and can easily hook up copper baseboard without having to transition at each connection at finish.

And FOSTAPEX (type in at Google bar) or similar pex pipe is way to go on runs for heat... you will love this stuff!!

Anyway.. that is my thoughts.. Good kuck and keep us posted as you have been... ;) Mark
    Attached Images

Apr 18, 2008, 02:59 AM
    Thanks Mark

I used the stubouts to go up to the toilet and on the shower valve. Do they make these in 3/4 for when I do the heat, easy to work with, but very thin wall, hope my son doesn't play too close to them. Thanks
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 03:37 AM
    They make the same stub out in 3/4" for sure!

Talk soon... Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray push lawnmower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Murray push lawnmower that I want to know the year of manufacture. Model 21673X92A Date Mfg 1283 It has a Tecumseh engine TVXL115 56025A Many thanks.

Push in the right direction [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 16, I've left school and had a rubbish job working at Mc Donalds and also have a part time job (one 3 hour shift a week). Now I've left Mc Donalds without finding another full time job and I'm screwed! I have rent to pay my parents and all they do is tell me I'm a retard and that I should have...

Push-Pull Push-Pull [ 3 Answers ]

My Ex GF and I have been boken up for 3months now. We are still totally connected and a lot of the time I feel that we are still in love with each other. We were together for 4.5 years. When we broke up she started to date this guy, A guy that she admitted to having a crush on while we were...

Push button stuck [ 1 Answers ]

The push button on my toilet is stuck down and the cistern is continuously running how do I fix this?

Push?! [ 9 Answers ]

I was wondering what crybabypirate meant when she said to push when I go up about my roundoffs.Was she talking about my hands or my feet?? Remember, there is no stupid question.! addy

View more questions Search