Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Feb 6, 2006, 08:47 PM
    Sales tax on capital improvement
    First of all, I live in the state of NY. We have had contractors do work that would constitute as capital improvement (windows, boiler, plumbing not related to a repair). One of them charged me sales tax. I looked on the government's website and it stated that if you fill out the form you are not required to pay sales tax. He disagreed with and stated he doesn't have a tax id so he has to pay sales tax for the product he buys. He also said I would be able to include this in my taxes at the end of the year along with my other deductions. Is this all true? Should he have charged me sales tax. Here is the website I got this from:

http://www.tax.state.ny.us/pdf/1997/...97_fill_in.pdf

Unfortunately, you need a lawyer or accountant to decipher this stuff. Thanks for your help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2006, 10:21 PM
    It's irrelevant whether he should have charged you sales tax. He did it and it's water under the bridge.

You can deduct it on your return if the work was done on a business or a rental property. If it was done on your home, then there are no tax consequences, good or bad.
    POBRIEN Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 9, 2009, 12:08 PM
    Am I required to pay Rhode Island Sales Taxes for Capital Improvements to the cantractor or the supplier when Ipurchase new windows?
    POBRIEN Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 9, 2009, 12:13 PM
    Am I required to pay Rhode Island sales taxes for capital improvements to my home to the contractor or to the supplier when I purchase new windows?
    drbobnsue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2011, 11:01 AM
    Is the installation of dishwashers, sinks kitchen cabinets and the labor required sales taxable in Florida?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 23, 2011, 11:48 AM
    The dishwasher - almost definitely.

Kitchen cabinets, maybe not; depends on the specific sales tax law in Florida.

Labor, probably not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Anarchism, chaos? Or improvement [ 5 Answers ]

Anarchism; without government, order or law. Some people think total chaos, I say improvement. Sure it has its flaws but then again it has its benefits. The government wants u to believe law is necessary , but if people have freedom they would not abuse it because it would be all about survival. Is...

Sales Tax [ 4 Answers ]

I am starting a home based embroidery business. I would like to know when and on what I should charge sales tax?:confused:

Home improvement and depreciation [ 3 Answers ]

In 2005, I made an improvement to my home (built a deck). I also rent out two rooms in my home. I depreciate the portion of the home rented. Am I required to depreciate the expenses for this home improvement? Or is depreciation on home improvement optional? Thank you

Sales tax [ 1 Answers ]

I just had a remote starter installed on my vehicle, should the dealership have charged me sales tax (OHIO) on the labor or only on the merchandise?

Short-term capital gains from stock sales [ 2 Answers ]

"Short-term stock gains are taxed as ordinary income. Therefore, the nominal tax rate will be whatever tax bracket you are in. More explicitly, it will be taxed at the federal tax rate (bracket) as determined by your taxable (not gross) income line on your federal tax return." If all of my income...

View more questions Search