Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JDSantiago Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2008, 11:14 PM
    3 Day Pay or Quit.What is the timeline?
    Hi I would like to know how long do you have to move if you are given a 3 Day Pay or Quit notice before you are locked out? What happens after the 3 days and if I do not respond how long will I have to move before anything major happens?

I have lived in a building in California for a little over a year and in Jan 2008 I paid the owner for Jan and Feb 2008 cause I was going to be away on business and the building was Sold and turned over to new owners Jan 31 2008 and now the new owners gave me a 3 Day Pay or Quit for Feb when I gave them copies of the checks that were cashed for Jan and Feb of 2008... They contacted the old owner and she said I never gave her the feb 2008 rent check and lied and said my Jan check bounced, I think because she do's not want to give them that money back.

Thanks and god bless!:(
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2008, 06:40 AM
    A 3-Day Notice to Pay Rent or Quit is used to give any tenant notice that they owe rent for a certain period and they must either pay the rent due within 3 days or vacate the property within 3 days. If the tenant does not comply with the notice, an Unlawful Detainer action will have to be filed so that the owner may regain possession of the property. If the tenant chooses to vacate the property within the three days, the owner can still file a small claims complaint against the tenant for the unpaid rent. This notice is usually served on a tenant after the rent has become late according to the rental agreement, usually rent is due on the first and late on the fifth so the notice could be served on the sixth. (3-Day Notice to Pay Rent or Quit)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2008, 06:47 AM
    Hello jd:

I don't think you have to move at all. If the building is RESIDENTIAL, the new owner is obligated to maintain the rental agreements. If you don't have a lease, they can give you a 30 day notice.

However, since you paid rent for the next two months, and you can prove it (her story notwithstanding), they can't give you another 30 day notice until the end of February.

But, it's now the end of March... So, I'm missing something here.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 28, 2008, 07:58 AM
    As Judy said, the next step after the 3 day notice is the unlawful detainer. To get that they need to go to court which means a hearing. All you need to do is walk into the hearing with copies of your cancelled checks showing the old owner cashed them.

But excon is right its now the end of march?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant on lease with option refusing to pay rent. Hand delivered 5 day pay or quit. [ 4 Answers ]

Property is located in Virginia. The tenant signed lease agreement and option agreement. The rent is $1000 monthly and the option is paid separately at $200 monthly. The rental agreement states tenant is responsible for repairs per incident up to $500. The blower motor went out on Heat pump...

3 Day Notice To Pay Rent or Quit [ 2 Answers ]

I'm hoping someone can give me an answer because this is all new to me. I'm renting out a room in my condo. My renter has not paid her rent and promised that I will have it on 2/15/08. I didn't get it so I served her with a 3 day notice on 2/16/08 (Saturday). It states in the notice "Within three...

5-day notice to quit or pay in virginia [ 2 Answers ]

In Virginia, is it okay for the landlord's agents to personally serve a 5-day notice to pay rent or quit? Which is proper or improper service: a personal statement certifying proof of service? Registered mail? Sheriff posting notice on the door? All or none of the above?

5 Day Pay Rent or Quit [ 1 Answers ]

If I am given a 5 day notice to pay rent or quit, in Nevada, on a commercial property lease, is a lien automatically placed on my equipment or do they have to file for a lien and serve notice, also how long do I have before they physically lock me out?

Tenant on lease with option refusing to pay rent. Hand delivered 5 day pay or quit. [ 2 Answers ]

Property is located in Virginia. The tenant signed lease agreement and option agreement. The rent is $1000 monthly and the option is paid separately at $200 monthly. The rental agreement states tenant is responsible for repairs per incident up to $500. The blower motor went out on Heat pump...

View more questions Search